31

Chapter 31 Pearl

Although Li shi was a village woman who didn’t know big characters, her temperament was extremely straightforward, and she was especially protective to those who were pleasing to her eye. She thought that Marquis Zhenbei madam, who was born in a scholarly family, must be a little aloof and arrogant. When she heard that her brother-in-law was going to bring her to met each other, she was actually a little conflicted and had a little inferiority complex. Unexpectedly, Guan shi was really graceful and elegant, but she treated others earnestly and sincerely, gentle and courteous, so they quickly talked happily and became friends.

The reputation of Marquis Zhenbei’s infatuation had long been known to everyone. Seeing that he was so dedicated to his deceased wife, the noble ladies of Yanjing thought that he was a rare good man in this world, so they all wanted to marry him as his wife, to also won a share of that infatuation. But  Li shi disagreed. Since Marquis Zhenbei had already spent all his infatuation on his deceased wife, how could he still look at other women? Marrying him was not a blessing, rather a suffering. Maybe they would have to live alone in an empty room for the rest of their life. It’s a pity that a good woman like Suyi should spend the rest of her life in such a vain way, and there was no way out, just because the marriage was granted by the imperial decree and could not get divorced.

Thinking of this, Li shi couldn’t help but complain about Emperor Sheng Yuan. Because she had been in charge of the kitchen in the military camp, and had served Emperor Sheng Yuan, who was only a rebel general at the time, the relationship between the two of them was familiar, so she said bluntly, “Your Majesty, how can you hurt Suyi so much that you even pointed her to Zhao Luli that soft egg!”

“What the hell is going on?” Emperor Sheng Yuan’s voice was cold and his brows were wrinkled.

“Suyi and Zhao Luli had been married for less than half a month, but the old madam of Ye family actually came to the door, crying and shouting for Zhao Luli to take the di daughter of their shu branch who was raised under her knees as a concubine, saying that Suyi was cruel and treated the two children harshly, she have to have a Ye family member to take care of them in Marquis Mansion to feel assured. Do you think this is make sense? How can a mother-in-law put her hand in her son-in-law’s room? Besides, this mother-in-law is no longer a serious mother-in-law, but she regards the big Marquis Mansion as her own back house, that she can controlled as much as she wants, and can manipulate as much as she wants. If it were me, I would have slapped that woman’s mouth long ago!” The more Li shi talked, the more annoyed she became, to the point of exploding some foul language, completely ruined the noble lady’s posture she had been cultivating.

Qin Lingyun sighed while holding his forehead, while gently pulling his sister-in-law’s sleeve, signaling her to pay attention to what she said. His Majesty was now the ruler of Wei, not the leader who made jokes with them back then.

Emperor Sheng Yuan originally thought that Zhao Luli who had abandoned his self-esteem for this marriage, would definitely treat Guan Suyi kindly, but he did not expect him to do such a thing. Leaving aside the so-called love, the wife was bestowed by the emperor, and also had a first-rank title order, shouldn’t she be valued?

When he done this, where did he put Guan’s family? Where did he put the Holy’s intention? Since Ye Zhen left, he become completely helpless, and become more and more ignorant. Is a woman really that important? If so, why didn’t you stop the old marquis in the first place? Emperor Sheng Yuan couldn’t guess Zhao Luli’s mind or understand what he was doing. He could only held back a breath in his heart, but he didn’t know whether this breath was for his former comrade or for the woman who was humiliated to this point.

Seeing that the emperor did not say anything for a long time, Li shi added, “What kind of person Suyi is, I can tell just by seeing her once. With her extremely beautiful appearance, she will definitely not treat her stepson and stepdaughter harshly. The Ye family’s remarks are just vicious slander. This marriage was given by His Majesty, and Suyi is a dignified first-rank madam, so she should be highly respected, but the Ye family did not take her seriously, and within a few days of the big wedding they forced Marquis Zhenbei to take a concubine. If Ye family say they did not intend to embarrass Suyi, even beaten to death I won’t believe it. You said, Your Majesty, why do they despise the first-rank madam that was conferred by your golden-mouth?”