55

Chapter 55 Executed

Zhong shi saw her father-in-law and her husband didn’t take Ye Mansion’s ransacking seriously, even made up this “wife’s dominance” thing, as if they were raising their daughter as a son, she couldn’t help but hurriedly said, “Yiyi, don’t listen to your father’s nonsense, what is it this wife’s dominance thing, don’t make people laugh. If the family’s daughter loses her husband’s favor, her life will be extremely difficult. He will not give you son, he will not protect you, the pair of children will view you as enemy and alienated you, and to go as far as trampling you. When you are old and weak in the future, you can neither rely on your husband nor your children, then how should you live? Besides, Zhao Wangshu is going to inherit the title. When he becomes the head of Marquis Mansion, he can deal with you unscrupulously. So you absolutely can’t get to that point, let’s find a way to ease the relationship!”

Old Master Guan frowned, obviously dissatisfied with what his daughter-in-law said. Guan Father stopped eating and drinking, slapped the table and said angrily, “Woman’s foolishness, don’t corrupt my child!”

What is this woman’s foolishness? What is this corrupting your child? Are you and father-in-law really forget Yiyi’s gender? She is a daughter, not a son! Zhong shi was sullen in her heart, but it was not easy to argue with her husband in front of her daughter.

Guan Suyi was about to appease her mother, but she heard her father sneered and said, “Women can have a footing in the back house, one by relying on favor, and the other by relying on her maiden’s family, in other words, power and status. Men in the world, apart from the ones that truly self-cultivated and have a noble character, which one is not quick to switch sides and halfhearted? How is one to know how long this bit of pampering today will last? Instead of pinning your life hopes on others, it’s better to be self-reliant. According to you, in order for my child to have something to rely on in her old age, she has follow the Marquis Mansion and the Ye family in everything. They want to take concubines, we can’t object; they want to take concubines as wives, we can only bear it; if in the future that concubine gives birth to a shu son, their heart will grow bigger. If you want to be the righteous Marquis Zhenbei Madam, according to what you said, my child should take the initiative to give in, just so that the pair of stepchildren can support her for the rest of her life?”

Guan Father became more and more angry, and asked, “Would you like to let my child rely on others’ breath, endure humiliation and burdens, and accept compromise for a lifetime, or would you like to see her raise her head and straighten her back, be an upright person?”

Raise her head and straighten her back, be an upright person. Zhong shi was dumbstruck by the questions, and could not help but look at her daughter with shame on her face. Guan Suyi smiled and shook her head, indicating it was alright.

Old Master Guan put down his wine cup and said slowly, “I’m not good with words, and I don’t understand the ways of the world, so I’m often misunderstood, and the path will always be blocked. However, I never take a detour. If there is a stone in the front, I will move the stone away, if there is a south wall, I will break the south wall in the front, I will break the south wall, even if I die on the way, I will get what I want. This is the style of my Guan family, choose the straight path, loyalty, benevolence, righteousness, repaying kindness with kindness, repaying claws and teeth also with claws and teeth. For those who are benevolent and virtuous, we will talk to them with benevolence and virtue, and for those who cheat and manipulate power, we will also talk to them with power. The Ye family is not benevolent nor virtuous, like to usurp power, expecting us to repay them with kindness is delusional. It’s better to kick it away like a stone, and break it like a wall with all your might, so that they can no longer block your way. Then when you look at them again, it’s just a few random clamoring ants, it won’t get in the way.”