109

Chapter 109 Imperial Power
Every time he reminisce about the past, it felt like the pit of his stomach was pried open with a knife, the taste was definitely not wonderful. However, this time, Emperor Sheng Yuan didn’t feel pain at all, but rather nostalgic. Madam was by his side, sharing his memories, feeling his joys and sorrows, and learning about the real Hunnar through these words. This was exactly what he wanted to talk to Madam the most, but he didn’t know how to express it.

If others dared to pry into his heart, he would definitely tear them apart, but for Madam, he would open the door himself and ask her to go inside, keep walking, keep walking… to the deepest part of his heart.

And his goal was finally achieved. Guan Suyi, while copying the manuscript, carefully commented on his growth, from an ignorant child to a nine-footed tall man, from a lowly military slave to the powerful monarch of this age, the process was extremely arduous and heart-wrenching. She read it again and again and couldn’t bear to stop.

“After reading Your Majesty’s sacrificial eulogy, this subject woman deeply understood what Mencius wrote – therefore, when the heaven entrusted a great responsibility to a person, he must first suffer his will and work his muscles… and once benefited from what he could not. Every suffering you have experience has become the foundation of your greater strength, so there is today’s Wei Kingdom, and today’s Emperor Sheng Yuan. Your Majesty, look at your enemies, and look at you now, no matter how much hostility you have in your heart, it should be pacify.” She sighed.

“Madam is right. Zhen’s enemies have long since become dead bones, but Zhen has ascended to the throne and dominate the world, so there is nothing to be paranoid about.” Emperor Sheng Yuan’s mood suddenly became light.

Seeing him happy, Guan Suyi continued, “Then, this subject woman will revise your manuscript. First, your description of the late emperor must be deleted and rewritten. Not only Confucianism advocates filial piety, but all orthodox philosophies practices the word filial piety, because it’s the first of the hundred virtues and the foundation of human morality. How can a person be kind to others if he can’t even be kind to his parents? So even if you deeply hate the late emperor, you cannot show it. Not only you cannot show it, but you have to pretend to revere him. In this sacrificial eulogy, you directly scolded him for throwing you into the mountain to feed the wolves, and throwing away the bones of the late empress dowager, although it’s true, it will damage the reputation of the late emperor and your image of filial piety. So this subject woman will be bold to crossed out this paragraph and rewrite it.”

Emperor Sheng Yuan didn’t refuse, and nodded generously, “Madam, please change.”

Guan Suyi fixed a look at him, and said with satisfaction, “This subject woman changed this paragraph to the late emperor sent people to look for you and the late Empress Dowager, but there was no result, so he had to give up. From then on he missed you every day and couldn’t sleep at night. And you were taken away by the pack of wolves in the mountain and raised by them carefully. What do you think?”

Emperor Sheng Yuan leaned over and looked at the words she added with red vermilion, seemed a little reluctant, but in the end he didn’t say anything.

Guan Suyi patiently explained, “The reason why this subject woman changed this way is also of great significance. Since ancient times, the Son of Heaven must have extraordinary image, maybe there’s dragons and snakes dancing, maybe red clouds fill the sky, maybe Brahma bells vibrating, or strong fragrances overflowed the room. However, to tell you the truth, few of them are genuine people or real events, most of them are just rumors or the emperor promoting themselves, just to pursue four words – Received Mandate of Heaven. Even the heaven recognizes you, who would dare to overthrow you? This is also a way to consolidate the imperial power. Your experience of being raised by a pack of wolves is real and legendary. If it publicized properly, you will surely win the reputation of ‘True dragon Son of Heaven and the divine right of kings‘. In the future, when you issue government decrees, no courtiers dare to disobey, and no common people dare to disobey.”