38

Chapter 38 Tall Trees

After ordering Ye Zhen to go back, Emperor Sheng Yuan put down the spoon and said solemnly, “This bowl of soup is given to you, drink it while it’s hot.”

Who dared to refuse what the emperor gave, Baifu was flattered and took the soup bowl, took it in small sips and drank it all, he intended to praise Ye Jieyu‘s cooking skills, but afraid of angering the emperor by saying the wrong thing, so he had to shut up. He really couldn’t guess the emperor’s mind now, saying that he didn’t love Ye Jieyu, but of all the concubines in the palace, only Ye Jieyu could talk to him; saying that he loved Ye Jieyu, but he never never stayed in Ganquan Palace for more than an hour, let alone stay overnight.

No wonder after so many years, not only Ye Jieyu had never given birth, but the rest of the imperial concubines did not move at all. And the empress dowager, who was not his biological mother, did not urge at all, and only concentrated on raising the little grandsons left by several princes. His Majesty was already twenty-seven this year, if there was no good news, afraid that in a few years, it would provoke criticism from the courtiers. Baifu finally realized the taste of “The emperor is not in a hurry, but the eunuchs are“. But he did not dare to advise bluntly, only pick a few more beauties to serve in the palace, preferably someone as talented as Ye Jieyu.

While thinking about it, Emperor Sheng Yuan had already leaned on the dragon chair and closed his eyes. The sky outside the window was getting dark. A layer of shadow covered his handsome and cold face, his thin lips pursed very tight and slightly pulled down, showing a bit of depression.

Baifu didn’t know what happened to the emperor when he went outside in plain clothes, but very sure that he was not in a good mood right now, if he make a slight mistake, he might throw himself onto the muzzle of a gun. The servants who could serve in Weiyang Palace were all experienced, and there was no need for the chief supervisor to remind them to lowered their eyes and ears, kept their voices quiet, and dared not make trouble.

In this dead silence atmosphere, time passed quietly, as if a long time had passed, but it was only a moment, Baifu suddenly heard His Majesty’s low voice, “Bring the Book of Songs here, I want to see it.”

“It’s here.” Baifu hurriedly found the book and placed it on a tray covered with silk.

Emperor Sheng Yuan flipped through the pages at will, his cryptic eyes suddenly fixed, and after a while, he slowly read word by word, “There are tall trees in the south, and it is not to be contemplated; Han has a wandering girl, and it is impossible to think; The vastness of Han is incomprehensible. The eternal nature of the river is incomprehensible. Baifu, can you sing this poem? Sing and let me listen.”

“Your Majesty, due to the turmoil of war, the rise and fall of the feudal states, and the displacement of the people, many of the tunes in the Book of Songs have been lost. This servant have shallow knowledge and dare not show their ugliness. If Your Majesty really likes it, it is better to ask the Emperor Teacher tomorrow. The old master may know a thing or two.”

“Ask Guan Qiguang to sing a love poem? Forget it.” Emperor Sheng Yuan shook his head and laughed, as if thinking of something, he murmured, “Someone can certainly sing it, but if she sings it to Zhen, Zhen will be even more pathetic. But  it’s better this was, what remain unseen is deemed clean, what remain unheard is deemed quite.”

Which woman won’t even give you face? And who can make you pitiful? Baifu felt incredulous. Seeing that His Majesty’s expression changed from longing to loss, and then to gloomy and depressed, in the end he did not dare to ask.

—–

Marquis Zhenbei Mansion, Main House.

Zhao Chunxi had been waiting in the side hall for more than an hour. Seeing that Guan Suyi had not returned to the house, she couldn’t help but feel a little anxious. Her two maids, Hexiang and Xueliu, repeatedly ran outside the second gate to take a look, their faces full of impatience. After another quarter of an hour, Hexiang ran back and said indignantly, “Miss, don’t wait, let’s go back. Madam knew that you’re going to apologize today, but without informing anything she went out privately and let you wait in vain. She is hanging you on purpose!”