36

Chapter 36 Blessing

Guan Suyi slowly regained her calm, and ordered the shop assistant to send two extremely flat and thin bamboo strips and a brocade box, and put them aside for later use. After the heat dissipated, she said, “Take the stones out.”

Just as a guard was about to stretch out his hand, he saw that His Majesty had already stood up and politely said, “I’m here, Madam, please stand farther away, in case the ashes reignite and hurt you.” The stone slab was still scalding hot, but he easily took it out as if he didn’t feel anything. After it was done, he spread out his palm to take a look, and his skin was not red even a little bit, showing that his internal strength was deep and his martial arts were strong.

Guan Suyi thanked him softly, and then used two bamboo strips to clip out the burnt and incomplete pieces of paper, and put them into the brocade box carefully. Although Li shi had a bold temperament, her handwork was very meticulous, so she also helped pick up pieces of paper.

Qin Lingyun knew that Marquis Zhenbei madam had followed her maternal grandmother to study history since she was a child, and that historians were very good at repairing books. If people who don’t know how to do it intervene at will, they might not even be able to save these scraps of paper, so they could only wait and see. But in the end he couldn’t bear the anger, and said solemnly, “Confucianism advocates benevolence and virtue, but Xu Guangzhi burns books and abolishes the Legalism, the means were too cruel. After ten days of battle of words, he become famous in the Central Plains, and then want to take the Emperor Teacher’s position, is he worthy?”

Legalists were good at taking advantage of the situation and used every method to gain power, so at a glance Qin Lingyun could see through Xu Guangzhi’s ambitions concealed by his profound knowledge. Old master Guan advocated uprightness and peace, and he preferred to advance on both ways; His Majesty advocated the promotion of the Confucian family and the suppression of the Hundred Schools of Thought. But he insisted on abolishing Hundred Schools of Thought and respect only Confucianism, since the beginning all kind of words and deeds had already revealed his intention to become official and climb higher.

How could Guan Suyi no know what kind person Xu Guangzhi was? If she hadn’t disrupted the situation herself, he would have become an extremely high-ranking official by now, and her father’s current official position should have been taken by him, and then he also put forward the idea of ‘abolishing the Hundred Schools of Thought and respect only Confucianism’, and established the indestructible status of Confucianism in the Wei Kingdom at the fastest speed.

On the other hand, grandfather and father, their means of promoting Confucianism were indeed too gentle compared to him. If they fail to meet His Majesty’s expectations, it’s possible that Xu Guangzhi could still ascend to high ranking position, then how many books would suffer this fire and turn to ashes? How many humanistic ideas would have been completely destroyed and wiped out? The sins in Xu Guangzhi’s hands were comparable to the previous emperor who burned Confucian books and buried Confucian scholars alive.

The more she thought about it, the more disturbed she became, she said coldly, “Since His Majesty has made a clear decree, and wants to support Confucianism as a national study, he must be in great need of such talents. Although Xu Guangzhi is ruthless and narrow-minded, he has already made a name for himself, I’m afraid soon he will soar to the sky. With him taking the lead, and to have highly ignited Confucian scholars echoing each other, Confucianism will surely rise rapidly. The chaos in the literary world started from him, and the abolition of a hundred schools of thought started from him, but compared with the stability of the society and the domestication of the people, that is not worth mentioning. After all, I am a boudoir woman, what lowly people think counts for little. What is the use of worrying about this, it’s better to preserve a few more books.” Her frowning brows were stained with a hint of sadness.