21

Chapter 21 Storytelling

The Wencui Building was no longer overcrowded. In the big hall downstairs there were two or three scholars who seemed to be composing poems and flaunting it at each other. On the second floor, only Guan Suyi’s and Qin Lingyun’s table were left.

In her previous life, Guan Suyi was not an orthodox Confucian scholar. To be more precise, she liked to extract the essence from the hundreds school of thought, and removed the dross that did not conform to her own ideas, even the contradicting world’s view. However, due to filial piety, she never revealed her true inner thoughts, and was forced to hold back for two lifetimes.

It felt really uncomfortable to accumulate words for two lifetimes and couldn’t tell them, especially since she also carried a huge secret that needed to be guarded day and night. Therefore, when she suddenly encountered someone with indifference relationship but could talk to, she changed from being reticent to a chatter, pulling the two of them to talk endlessly.

At first she just said it to Qin Lingyun, but then she noticed that his personal guards were more interested in her topic and had a little knowledge of the history of Central Plains, so the addiction of being a teacher naturally appeared, and the talk became more ups and downs and unrestrained.

After revealing the truth about the renunciation system, she drank the hot tea handed over by the tall man, and continued, “In fact, there is no need to verify from elsewhere. Just based on the records in the ‘Classic of History’, you can see many contradictory details, so as to deduce the local style at that time. Before he took the throne, Shun was persecuted in every way by his father, stepmother, and the son of the stepmother Xiang. Since they didn’t like Shun, then just live separately, why did the three of them want to force him into a dead end? Why don’t you guessed the inside story?”

The tall man didn’t know much about the history of Central Plains, and he thought about it for a moment and said, “Is it to fight for family property?” Most people would think this way.

“It’s half right,” Guan Suyi smiled lightly, “both for family property, but also for status and power. To be precise, Yao at the time was not the God Emperor, but the leader elected by many small tribes. Gusou was the chieftain of one of the small tribes. At that time, there was already a hereditary system, and it stands to reason that the position of the chief must be passed on to the eldest son. Shun was the eldest son, and he is popular among the people and had a high prestige. It would be impossible for him to pass the position of the chieftain to the incompetent and unworthy Xiang, unless Shun died accidentally. So you see, even the position of a small tribal chief were obtained by killing, and it was still a biological father who killed his child. So why would Yao be willing to practice the system of renunciation? He had long established Danzhu as the crown prince, and he was also his only di son.”

“This is the reason!” The tall man was convinced.

Guan Suyi pushed the tea cup in front of him, tapped her very delicately manicured nails, he then immediately served tea with a courteous attitude.

Guan Suyi was not in a hurry to sip, she held it in her palm and turned it around twice, saying, “It’s recorded in the ‘Classic of History: Canon of Shun’, after Shun ascended the throne, he selected and appointed worthy people, used ‘eight kai’ and ‘eight yuan’ to govern civil affairs, exiled the ‘Four Evils‘, appointed Yu to control the floods, complete Yao’s unfinished business, and support Emperor Yao to the end of his life. As long as the order of this sentence is reversed, the truth of history will be revealed. According to my great ancestor’s textual research, Shun selected the “Eight Kai” and “Eight Yuan” before his succession, and the exile of the “Four Evils” was also before his succession. Only the appointment of Yu to control the floods was after his succession. When you think about it, what mystery hidden here?”