139

Chapter 139 Denounced
Guan Wenhai felt uncomfortable in his heart, but he couldn’t flare up, so he had to pretend that he didn’t hear other people‘s ridicule. Just at this moment, a young servant hurried up to the tea house, searched back and forth a few times before running to him, whispering in his ear, “Young master, when Emperor Teacher came back from the palace, he immediately gathered the clan members, saying that he wanted to rebuild the clan school, inviting famous teachers to teach Confucianism to all children in the clan. He also said that the heir of the Guan family must fully inherit his mantle. People who don’t need the teaching and don’t want to change can cling to their mediocre talents…”

This statement was clearly criticizing himself, but Guan Wenhai had no way to refute it, just because he publicized an article with a very wrong topic half a month ago. He also sent that article to Master Xu’s house, asking him to comment, so it received many praises and also spread his name as outstanding talent. Before the outbreak of the literary war, he, like Qi Yu, Ji Chengyue and others, were the hottest talents in Yanjing City.

However, how much praise he had received then was how much ridicule he suffered now. What amazing talent full of knowledge? Just someone who drift with the waves and go with the flow, only know how to follow the crowd.

“What does the old man mean? Don’t want to recognize me as the heir? How can great-grandfather agree?” Guan Wenhai said through gritted teeth.

“Now it’s not a question of whether the clan leader agrees or not. You were very famous before, and you are the best among the Guan clan’s juniors, the clan leader want to pick you to inherit the mantle of the Emperor Teacher, others can’t say anything even if they have any resentments. But now you…” The little servant looked around and lowered his voice, “Now you have lost your literary name. Chief of Ceremonies advised you before, let you go home and read carefully, and then go to consult him again after changing the article. Who expected that after you went out of the Emperor Teacher Mansion you showed the article to the students of similar learning, and publicly mocked Seventh Miss for her poor knowledge, made outrageous remarks, and said Chief of Ceremonies was dissatisfied with you and tried to suppress you. After that, you became even more confused, and went to Xu Guangzhi’s house and asked him to give pointers. You also borrowed his reputation to gain a reputation for yourself. If Xu Guangzhi has always been dominant, that’s fine, the two masters can’t do anything to you. But now Xu Guangzhi’s “Subset Commentary” has been repeatedly criticized by many great scholars, and what even worse is the fact that his Gewu Zhizhi is precisely where he is wrong the most. So the reputation you have accumulated for many days destroyed, and you have become the laughing stock of the students all over the world. I don’t know which meddlesome people informing Emperor Teacher what you have been doing recently, and also sent over the article that Xu Guangzhi revised for you, which angered Emperor Teacher and publicly scolded you for being stupid and uneducated. He also said that such a person is not worthy of inheriting his mantle, let alone becoming the heir of the Guan family.”

The more Guan Wenhai listened, the paler his face became. He shook his hand and put down the brush, and asked, “Does he want to choose another heir?”

“Yes. The old master said that the heir of the Emperor Teacher Mansion can be talentless, but cannot be without virtue. You are disrespectful to Chief of Ceremonies, and you are not friendly to Seventh Miss. When you enter the house you were still smiling, but when you go out you would do your best to slander, neither have the wisdom to understand people nor the talent to differentiate learning. If the Emperor Teacher Mansion is stuck with you like this, then…” The little servant’s voice faded away, he dared not to speak any further.

Guan Wenhai knew that the old man was always outspoken and would definitely not say good things, but he couldn’t help but ask, “How about stuck with me? What did he say about me?”