83

Chapter 83 Confidant

Emperor Shen Yuan wanted to use Confucianism to govern the country. First, he saw its benevolence ideology as a way to make people obey and control them; Second, he saw that its Three Principles and Five constants* would make his subjects loyal to the monarch and avoid committing rebellion. However, when it compiled and summarized by Xu Guangzhi, the clan etiquette was placed above the national law, that means, the monarch and ministers guidance were placed after the father and son, and the husband and wife.

It was the same three principles, only the order was slightly changed, but the meaning was very different. As the Emperor Teacher said, his policy theory advocated and consolidated patriarchal power, not monarchical power; it strengthened the concept of clan, not the idea of loyalty to the country. In a short period of time, the people’s clan concept would have been strengthened, and they would naturally follow the rules and work diligently. However, as time goes by, they would only know that they have a family, but didn’t know that they have a country, they would only know how to protect their families, but didn’t know how to repay the country. If faced with family troubles and national disasters, it was natural to protect the small family and abandon the big country.

In the end, it didn’t matter to them who was the emperor, they could still live their lives. Just like a soldier who defected and returned home to serve his parents, Confucius praised his filial piety, instead of punishing him, he tried give him honor.

Several great families in the past stirred up storms in the Central Plains, led wars against the feudal vassals, and planned riots. As long as the family existed, the power continued to expand, they didn’t care who the person on the throne was, and even the slightest disagreement could turn the world upside down.

What was the suffering of the people? What if the common people were in trouble? They only have the word “clan” in their hearts, how could they lower their heads to see the commoners crawling at their feet? No, maybe they once lowered their eyes and looked at it carefully, otherwise how could they have created words such as “ants”?

Emperor Sheng Yuan, who used to be one of those ants, hated the rotten and apathetic noble family, so how could he allow them to revive? He picked up Xu Guangzhi’s article and glanced at it for a second, before throwing it into the brazier expressionlessly and burning it to ashes.

Several ministers lowered their eyes and did not dare to look more, lest the fire would accidentally burn them.

The era of the noble family had passed, apart from gradually declining and falling apart, afraid it would be difficult to regain its former scenery and glory. Xu Guangzhi was clearly a smart man, but he chose to attach himself to the noble families and tried to enter an official position. Didn’t he see that the emperor’s recent promotions were all underprivileged students, and the people he suppressed were the children of noble families?

Everyone was confused and secretly fearful, but Old Master Guan and Guan Father were calm and unperturbed. Although they also came from a noble family, they were not from an official noble family. They had expectations for fame and fortune, but they attached more importance on personal cultivation and ideas in their hearts. As long as the children in the family read well and studied well, there was nothing to worry about.

No, study too well was more worrying! Thinking like this, the two secretly glanced at the manuscript placed by the emperor’s side, wondering how to deal with it. Yiyi’s pen name was Lingyun Layman, but she abandoned it and took this “Innkeeper”. It could be seen that she didn’t want to reveal her identity, so they must cover up for her.

The father and son looked at each other and understood.

How could Emperor Shen Yuan not find the exchange looks between the two Mount Tai, he laughed secretly in his heart, and then picked up the manuscript and said slowly, “Emperor Teacher, how does the handwriting of this Innkeeper compare to yours? Although Zhen’s eyes is dull, but can hear the sound of cracking silk and gold in it, and perceive the unstoppable momentum, there is even a strong arrogance on the paper, which is good characters that is rarely seen in the world, right?”