157

Chapter 157 Intimate

Not long after the banquet was dispersed, a few dark clouds suddenly floated from the sky, in a short while the lightning flashed and the thunder rumbled, and it rained heavily. Fortunately, Guan Suyi had already carried Mu Mu into the carriage, so she was not drenched like a drowned rat.

“It’s raining too much, then we can’t go hunting!” Mu Mu sighed while lying beside the carriage window.

“It’s alright, next time the weather is fine, brother-in-law will take you out again.” Emperor Sheng Yuan rubbed the little guy’s head and ordered in a deep voice, “It’s raining and the road is slippery, let the horse run slowly.”

The guards who were driving the carriage outside did slow down, passing through the rain curtain and slowly driving towards the imperial manor. The breeze lifted the curtain of the carriage and sent in a few cool raindrops. It didn’t feel uncomfortable on the skin, but rather quite fun.

Emperor Sheng Yuan saw Madam staring out of the carriage, her hair fluttering in the wind, covering her cheeks for a while, touching her lips for a while, and floating on his face for a while, bringing a tingling sensation and a few wisps of fragrance. Somehow, it made his mouth very dry. He picked up Mu Mu, moved closer little by little, and said with a hoarse laugh, “It’s raining a lot. Thanks to this storm, Madam and I can stay on the road for a few more hours. It’s only six days, but it feels like many years have passed, Madam, when will discuss our marriage? If you don’t agree for a day, I will feel uneasy for a day.”

Guan Suyi suddenly returned to her senses, and only then did she realize that Hunnar had sat down against her shoulders at some point, and the strong pure male breath was close at hand, which was very intoxicating. She tilted her head uncomfortably, and asked, “Do you really want to promulgate the law of nurturing the people? “Lesson for Women” is just a self-amusement of the powerful, if let the common people take a look at it, it will only be scorned.”

In the previous life, apart from a very few Confucian students with bad minds in reading, there were not many commoners who really accepted “Lesson for Women”. Most of the victimized women were from the upper classes. However, as long as “Lesson for Women” existed, when the peace come, the prosperity continued, and as Confucianism continued to spread, its influence would only become wider and wider. Maybe hundreds of years from now, all women in the Central Plains would be as written in the book, weak and bullied all their lives, and could not get free until they die.

Even as sharp-tongued as Guan Suyi was, she only dared to talk the matter of “faithful unto death”, as the rest of the ideology have long been ingrained in people’s bones and blood. Women have been the most humble existence since ancient times. This was a reality that could not be changed or overturned. Therefore, even if Xu Yayan was completely refuted, she didn’t feel much joy, but even more depressed. If she could choose, she would never be born as a woman in the next life.

Sensing that she was in a depressed mood, Emperor Sheng Yuan gently squeezed her fingertips and then restrainedly let it go, while soothingly said, “You don’t need to care about people’s opinions, just live your life as you like. If Madam is really like Xu Yayan, on one hand humbling herself, on the other hand tried everything in her power to climb up, then Madam would not make me head over heels over you. What I adore, admire, and appreciate is Madam’s strength and tenacity.”

Seeing red blush slowly creeping up Madam’s pale cheeks, he smiled gently, “The law of nurturing the people has already been drafted and revised, it’s not particularly targeting the “Lesson for Women”. You may not be able to imagine, in just a hundred years, this land has buried seventy to eighty percent of its population, then how many orphans and widows have been left behind. If there are no national laws to force men and women to marry and encourage widows to remarry, the population will continue to decrease. Today, I personally prepare a dowry for Ji Ting and sent her to marry. In the future, more orphans and widows will find their way out.”