48

Chapter 48 Impeachment

A crisp sound of “pop” came from inside the house, shocking Minglan and the others. Yinzi quietly hid away, but the newly arrived maid who was named Jinzi by Madam walked to the window to take a look and said anxiously, “Sister Minglan, should we go in to keep guard? In case Lord Marquis and Madam get into fight…”

“Don’t go in, lest miss will be embarrassed. Let’s us grab a weapon and stand here, and if miss is in trouble, we can rush in to help.” Minglan picked up a slab of brick from under the wall and held it tightly in her hand. Yinzi and Jinzi followed suit, and they also pick up a convenient weapon.

Minglan saw that they were not afraid of lord marquis at all, but were loyal to miss, so she was very satisfied. The three of them stood on tiptoe and looked into the room, only to see that lord marquis was stunned by the beating and couldn’t recover his sense for a long time, but the madam rolled up her sleeves with a leisurely expression and slowly moved her wrist, as if the one who was angry before was not her.

Zhao Luli had never hit a woman before, let alone hit by a woman. When he pulled away from the shock, he found that his cheeks were sore and hot, as if burned by a soldering iron, and when the tip of his tongue touched his gums, he tasted a few traces of blood. He was actually wounded.

Jinzi and Yinzi saw a line of blood flowing from the corner of lord marquis’s mouth, when they looked at him more and more, they couldn’t help muttering, “Madam’s hands are so strong, she slap a big man until bleeding!”

Minglan snorted triumphantly, “That’s right! Our miss can tie four or five pounds of lead around her wrist at the age of eleven or twelve. She doesn’t need a knife to eat watermelon in summer, she can split it with bare hands. If lord marquis want to take advantage of miss, it will not be easy!”

Jin Zi silently took these words to heart, and then continued to wait and see.

After all, Zhao Luli was a Confucian general, and he would not easily fight with women. Even though his heart was already steaming with anger, he still reluctantly held back. Guan Suyi was not afraid of him, and while pouring tea for herself, she said slowly, “I said how Zhao Chunxi and Zhao Wangshu are so stupid, turns out they follow the true tradition of your Zhao family and Ye family. Since you said that what happened to Ye family were all caused by Guan family, then I will dispute you. The Ye family wanted to stuff in their daughter to be a concubine, did my Guan family order it? Ye Jieyu gave face for that concubine, did my Guan family order it? The Ye family arranged the treasure appreciation banquet, did my Guan family planned it? The Ye family’s coral tree was broken, did my Guan family break it? The emperor tried his best to suppress the Ye family, did the Guan family was behind it? You touch your conscience, do you dare to say ‘yes’?’

Zhao Luli was speechless, and the left cheek, which was not slapped, also flushed red.

Guan Suyi sneered, “It’s the Ye family who has repeatedly provoked, and lord marquis is good, actually blame it all on my Guan family’s head. It’s really true that when someone is good, they will be taken advantage. I really don’t know how you were able to make a name for yourself in the military back then, even dared to meddle in those rotten things like the Ye family. Master Ye funded the rebellion of the Second Prince, and only after the defeat did he offer tributes to the Emperor to survive the calamity. Now, although he has gained some grace, he still doesn’t know how to restrain himself. On one side removed his enemies, while on the other side tried to form a party for personal gain. In a year and a half, a large number of courtiers have been won over. Minister of Justice, Minister of the Guards, Imperial Guard, Minister Coachmen, Minister of Imperial Clan, all of these ministers and captains who are related to the emperor’s safety and security have become his ‘sworn brothers’, and even Ye’s daughter become an imperial concubine, who controlled the inner palace. He seems to want to draw the emperor’s close attendants one by one, infiltrating all aspects of his life. It doesn’t look like he make friends with powerful officials, nor benefited in the slightest, but over time, his control intensified. If he want to make some small actions behind the emperor’s back, it will be easy. Emperor Ping of Han, Emperor Yin of Han, and the last emperor of the previous dynasty were all killed by their close attendants, and the trouble of murdering the monarch has a long history. And the Ye family had an enormous crime before, but they arrogantly offended His Majesty, and instead of thinking how to display loyalty and retreat to consider how to make amends, they done discreditable thing in the dark, treacherous like a ghost. If his family is not unlucky, then whose family is unlucky?”