16

Chapter 16 First Rank

The next day, Guan Suyi habitually woke up at the beginning of maoshi (5-7am), and like in the past, read poetry and classic records a hundred times, and then began to practice calligraphy.

Half an hour later, the sun was rising and the sky was breaking. The stewards who had received the summons gradually arrived, ready to listen to the instructions of the new master, the so-called three fires when new officials takes office. Because the old madam had no intention to manage the household, they were often slack off. Waking up so early this morning, there were not a few people with sleepy eyes, yawned, and complained. As for those who were sincere and fearful, or had some reverence, there was actually no one.

Most of the servants in the mansion believed the previous rumors. After all, they were just servants, not very knowledgeable, let alone broad-minded, they always thought that lord marquis was a great official, and even the emperor had to give him three-pointed face. They heard that the new madam came from a poor family, and that the Guan family’s father and son entered the officialdom after she was confer the marriage to the Marquis Mansion. It showed clearly that she was in the light of lord marquis, so they looked down on her more and more.

The new madam brought only two maid on the day she entered the door, and the sending off team was laughable. It could be seen how impoverished the Guan family was. Now that she manages a huge Marquis Mansion, could she handle it? Could she read the account book? Would she able to take care of the matching cards? Wouldn’t those treasures in the storeroom blind her eyes? Thinking about this, several plump housekeepers snickered together, and several others rolled their eyes, looking very impatient.

They had come for a long time, but the new madam just flipped through a book slowly and didn’t say anything. What did she mean by this? Want to showed everyone a power play? Alright, let’s stand with you. Anyway, the master didn’t speak, and the servants couldn’t talk freely. In the end, it depend on who was in a hurry.

While thinking about it, a voice came from outside, saying that it was the eldest miss who came to pay respect to madam.

The eldest miss come to pay respect to the new madam? Didn’t yesterday she still point finger at the new madam and scold her for being cruel? Everyone was blanked at first, and then a little startled. Before they could think deeply, the person had already come in, her eye sockets were slightly red and swollen, her skin was pale from freezing, and looked very haggard.

“You are here. Sit down.” Guan Suyi put down the book and said lukewarmly. Whether it was for dowry or marriage, Zhao Chunxi had to come to the main house, she had long expected that from today onwards, the other would put aside her self-esteem and perform ‘compassionate mother, filial daughter’ with herself. This was also her old trick.

Zhao Chunxi bent her knees to saluted then said with a sincere tone, “Yesterday Xi’er speak without scruples and said things that shouldn’t be said. I hope mother will be magnanimous and don’t care about Xi’er. This set of head ornament is given to mother as an apology, please see if you like it?”

The golden nanmu box was covered with a layer of black silk, when the morning light spread on it, it showed a maltose-like burnt yellow luster. In this burnt yellow halo lied a set of head ornament with flower jadeite, gold and silver filigree, and hanging beads. The green ones were like spring buds and the white ones were like dew in the middle of the night, and the golden light, silver light and morning light reflecting each other, which was so beautiful.

Mingfang looked dumbfounded immediately, her face couldn’t help showing a coveted look, and the stewards standing on both sides were curling their lips, cursing Guan family for being really poor, couldn’t be put on stage. Minglan was also taken aback, afraid of embarrassing her master, she hung her head to cover it up. On the contrary, Guan Suyi was indifferent, only swiping the corner of her eye and drinking tea slowly.