148

Chapter 148 Removed from The Clan
Guan Suyi and Mu Mu slept until noon before they got up. This time, Zhong shi didn’t shout at the people with feather duster, but instead indulge them. Jinzi and Minglan received 20 boards each, and now with their injuries they still insisted to guard their miss’s room. Taohong had already been sold, even she cried when she left, it didn’t make Zhong shi’s heart soften.

At noon, when the clan leader heard that Mu Mu had returned safely, he brought a large group of clan elders to the door. On the surface, he said condolences, but in reality he forced the Guan family to intercede for Guan Wenhai and let him out.

“Yunqi’s wife, the Guan clan has studied Confucianism for many generations, has always been a benevolent family, and has always cherish magnanimity. Mu Mu is safe and sound, so why should you kill Wenhai? As long as you say two good words for him, they can let him out. He is talented, young, and has a great future in front him. Someday when he’s successful, he will definitely repay you thousands of times. Now you execute without warning, don’t you violate the rule of the ancestors? You can’t write two ‘Guan’ words in one stroke*, everyone is a relative by blood, one prosperous then everyone prosperous, one falling then everyone falling. If his reputation is ruined, doesn’t it mean that Guan clan’s reputation is also ruined? If he has a loss of virtue, doesn’t it mean that Guan clan has a failing morality and disgraceful? It doesn’t matter if we become a commoner, and we won’t feel hurt just because people gossip about us, but the old master and Yunqi still have to gain a foothold in the court. If the clan’s reputation is ruined, it’s not a small offense. Don’t think about Wenhai, don’t think about the whole clan, you still have to think about yourself, right? As long as you present a memorial to the emperor and say that everything is a misunderstanding and Mu Mu is lost by himself, the reputation of the clan will be preserved, and the virtue of the Guan family will also be preserved. Isn’t it the best of both worlds?”

Because Emperor Sheng Yuan suppressed the news, these people only knew that Mu Mu was safe, but they didn’t know how he returned, and they didn’t know that even Guan Suyi had been missing for a day and a night. Thus, they dare to say those statement.

Zhong shi remembered what happened to the two children, remembered the son who died in vain. Her hatred for the clan had reached its peak.

She slowly turned the teacup in her hand and said, “Guan Wenhai has confessed in prison, saying that it was he who sent people to kidnap Mu Mu and planned to sell him to Tong Valley. Yesterday, the imperial army was the one who search and retrieve Mu Mu from Tong Valley. Why Guan Wenhai was arrested, anyone with a discerning eye can tell, presumably it has spread all over the capital by now. Such a wicked person, but you force us to spare him, this is not to treat Mu Mu as a person at all. Don’t you take our Guan family in your eyes at all? Ah yes, if Guan Wenhai is convicted, the Guan clan’s reputation will be greatly damaged. Outsiders will definitely point finger at your back and scold you for having a heart of wolf and lungs of dogs, losing your conscience. In order to avoid being implicated, I can ask the old master to excuse Guan Wenhai, just pretend it never happened.”

Everyone was overjoyed. They didn’t expect the Zhong shi to be so easy to talk, Guan family’s benevolence name indeed was not false. If even such deep hatred can be endured, it’s not too much to make more demands, right? Anyway, there is no successor in the Guan family. If they don’t want to sever the descendants and lose the family property, aren’t they still have to rely on the support of the clan?

Thinking like this, another clan elder said slowly, “Yunqi’s wife understands the great righteousness and is worthy of being the daughter of literary giant Zhong family. In this case, us here will thank you on Wenhai’s behalf, and when he comes out safely, we will let him come to the door to make amends. Everyone is from the same clan. If one person is in trouble, the whole clan should support, how can we be divided? In the future, Emperor Teacher Mansion have no successor, don’t you still have to rely on everyone’s help to support the lintel? By the way, many of the clansmen are destitute, although there is a clan school, there are not many people who can afford the tutor’s salary. Yunqi’s wife, you let Emperor Teacher be more accommodating, don’t delay the children. There’s also the matter of joint venture to purchase the sacrificial land, the poor should give less, the rich should give more, Emperor Teacher Mansion as the pillar of the clan, shouldn’t you give more silver? With the production of the sacrificial land as a support, the clansmen will be well fed and clothed, and will soon be able to live a good life. Whether the Guan clan can regain its former glory depends entirely on Emperor Teacher Mansion.”