91

Chapter 91 Dead Refusal
Guan Suyi cooked a few dishes that her grandfather and father loved the most, fetch a few pots of wine she brewed, picked out a little and fed them to the rabbits, chickens and ducks, and made sure they were not poisoned before letting Baifu personally deliver them.

“Madam, won’t you go and accompany His Majesty to have dinner?” Jinzi asked bravely. No one knew better than her why His Majesty was here. Once he lost control of his emotions, it’s unknown what would happen. Although recently he became a bear (tn: meaning timid), bears can eat people too!

“I have guessed before that you were sent from the palace, eight out of ten is the emperor’s person. But I never thought that the emperor was Hunnar.” Guan Suyi washed her hands expressionlessly and scraped her nail seams clean.

It was precisely because she had a plan in her mind that she did not avoid Jinzi in everything she done. No one is perfect. Grandfather and father were very loyal, capable, and their reputation was increasing. There were hardly any slander for them on the street, they were all praises. This was not a good thing in the eyes of the superior. It was often said that “those whose accomplishments overshadow the master is always in danger, and those who are brave to shake the master will die.” Defeating oneself at the right moment was an effective way to avoid it.

She was actually reluctant letting her grandfather and father pour dirty water on themselves, ruining their clean names and nobleness. Even when she leave Jinzi behind, she did not expect that there were even more dirty conspiracy hidden behind it.

Jinzi’s tears came out, and she quickly knelt down and pleaded guilty, “Madam, don’t think too much, this servant is ordered to protect you and have no intention to spy on you. Since this servant came to you, have never done anything to let you down, please don’t drive this servant away. Madam please!”

“You are a good girl, very capable, and loyal to the master.” Guan Suyi’s tone was flat, “Get up, I won’t drive you away. If I drive you away, I don’t know who else he will send to take over, it’s better for everyone to save all of these back and forth things.”

Jinzi felt ashamed and guilty, and repeatedly kowtowed. Seeing that Madam left the dining room and walked toward the mourning hall, she hurriedly followed suit, never dare to ask her to go back to serve His Majesty again.

Emperor Sheng Yuan waited bitterly for Madam who didn’t return, but he was accompanied by Emperor Teacher and Chief of Ceremonies so it was inconvenient to inquire, let alone chase after her, he had no choice but to eat without tasting the food.

At the same time, the news of the emperor’s visit to the Zhao Mansion had already spread to everyone, and some judicial officials had received signal from the top, and spread the word of how the Emperor Teacher, Chief of Ceremonies and Song Xuan presented the memorials in the court, justifying Guan family’s name, Madam’s name, and the child’s name; and sent dozens of Confucian scholars to explain the regulations of the new law in detail for the common people.

What happened in the Zhao family was nothing but anecdotes, after it was passed along on the street, it would not be long before people forget them. But the laws of the country were closely related to their livelihood and even their life, how could they not care? In the past, there were also small officials who distributed the pamphlets of “The Law of Civil Punishment” from house to house, telling them to study the law of the country well, which could come in handy at critical moments. They also said that The Law of Civil Punishment was a law specially formulated by the emperor for the common people, and its purpose was to maintain the people’s interests.

Those officials, what pleasant thing can they says? What nasty thing that can’t be done? Just listen to it, don’t take it seriously. This was the thinking of most people, but it was completely subverted at this moment. For a newborn baby, in order to wash away his demon’s stigma, Emperor Teacher and Chief of Ceremonies both resigned from their official positions and returned to their old home!