Kyoto Trip part 3

The group visits the Gion district and heads to the geisha's house for their appointment. The geishas are surprised to see young people, but they put on a show when the BBs are recognized as celebrities. A geisha and her apprentice serve the group tea and ask questions. The group does the same, too, and learns more about them and their lifestyle.

Reminder: homework survey to do.

The weather is sunny all week.

----------------------------------------------

[August 9, Thursday - week 2]

The third day of the Kyoto trip takes the group to a designated district dedicated to a group of courtesans called geishas. While they arrive safe and sound, they find themselves standing out.

"So this is where they live," Seiya says.

"Are you sure this is the right place?" Hyoga asks.

"This must be. I made sure we took the right bus," Shoko says.

"Our meeting takes place here, so let's look for the site," Chihiro says.

The group walks the district sounded by geishas that seem to be things of fiction or legend. But there are tourists like them walking around, taking photos everywhere they turn. However, many of the tourists are older adults and university students on summer vacation.

"I feel as if we're transported to another world," Alicia says.

"I agree. Perhaps this is why schools don't come here," Kyoko says.

"If you think about it, seems we're the only high schoolers here. I doubt any student like us would be here just cause," Ikki says.

They follow the instructions provided to the teahouse, where they'll meet with the geisha waiting for them. Thankfully for them, the instructions were easy enough that it didn't take them long to find the site.

"This seems to be the place," Shiryu says, looking up at the sign and compares the instructions.

"This place is the oldest and most expensive teahouse due to its significant historical importance," Mei explains.

"Saori-san reserved this place so let's check it out."

The group enters the site and tells the receptionist that they're here for their meeting. Once the arrangements are made, they enter their own room with two geishas expecting their arrival.

"Um, hello?" Shoko says.

"Please, sit," the geisha says.

"Thank goodness we're in a group because if I went on my own, I would've shivered nonstop," Seiya mutters.

They sit on the tatami floor at the geisha's order. They set their bags aside to pay attention to their surroundings and sweat drops due to the intense environment and appearance of the geisha.

 They set their bags aside to pay attention to their surroundings and sweat drops due to the intense environment and appearance of the geisha

"Why there's two of you?" Hyoga asks.

"There's ten of you. Also, I'm a geisha. She's my apprentice. I'm simply having her observe." The geisha refers to the younger girl next to her. "Before we begin, let me ask. Aren't you too young to be here? You seem to be high school students."

"We are," Shiryu says with a deadpan response.

"This is the first we have high school students here. The one who made the reservation failed to tell us that. Although it's not against our policy, we wouldn't have them here because of the exclusivity of this place."

"We're not here to cause trouble!" Seiya sweats.

"Your meeting is already paid for. Let's continue."

The geisha and her apprentice serve green tea. Normally, they would serve alcoholic drinks, but since they're minors, tea is the best option.

"How do you know about us?" the geisha asks.

"History books," Seiya says.

"Definitely history books," Shoko adds.

The rest say history books, too.

"I figure as much," the geisha says.

"Do you do things with your clients?" Seiya asks.

"Such as..."

"You know, private things..."

"No. We sing and we dance. And chat. Just like we're doing right now. Although, I get why you think that way because of the media. However, that's the furthest from the truth. We don't take action without consent."

"If that's the case, then you should receive more visits from school trips."

"We should, but they'll never allow that."

"That's too bad, but we understand," Chihiro says.

"Let's play music," the apprentice suggests.

"Good idea," the geisha agrees.

The geisha begins her dance as the apprentice plays the instrument. The group pays full attention to the geisha's expertise dance. After the show ends, the geisha returns to sitting with the group.

"What do you think?" the apprentice asks.

"Wow, amazing," Seiya says, blank but surprised.

"Thank you. We appreciate," the geisha says.

"I've been curious for a while, and some of you look familiar. Are you celebrities?" the apprentice asks again, making note of the boys.

Seiya looks at his friends and the girls before responding, "Yes, we are."

"Let me guess. The Galaxian Wars. Oh, we saw the whole thing on TV. Too bad it was prematurely canceled though," the apprentice says.

"It was canceled due to circumstances beyond our control," Shiryu says.

"Such a shame. I really enjoyed them."

"Ah yes! Galaxian Wars. Watching it brings back memories," the geisha adds. "I suppose the one who made the reservation was aware."

"Yeah, that person was fully aware," Hyoga adds.

"Yes, I thought so. Why else they would reserve?"

"I miss the Galaxian Wars. I saw the whole thing in person," Shoko says.

"Lucky you! Perhaps you had front row seat, miss," the apprentice says.

"Pretty much. I paid money for those seats."

"This is amazing. We never expect to have celebrities right here and now. And young ones at that. The last time we had a celebrity was many years ago," the geisha says.

"By the way, how long you've been in this business?" Shun asks.

"I've been in this field since I was fifteen years old. My mother was in it, my grandma was in it, and my great-grandma was in it. Also, the apprentice next to me is my daughter."

"Talk about dedication," Kyoko says.

"Agree!" the geisha nods.

"Aren't geishas nuns?" Mei asks.

"We're allowed to marry and do our jobs as long as our husbands agree."

The chat continues about the geisha's training, their lifestyle, and the clients they serve. These specific ones serve wealthy businessmen and sometimes rich college students on vacation. Many hours then pass, and they must depart. They sigh in relief as they exit the teahouse, ride their bus back to the Ryokan for a good night's rest, and continue their trip tomorrow.

To be continued...