Chapter 40

Seung-cheol was sitting on a bench with a frustrated face while staring at the happy families around him. He scoffed at every cute moment he witnessed.

"Here." A voice came from beside him. He looked up and saw Eunji standing there with a cold coffee in his hand.

"Whatever." He snatched the can from her and opened it, instantly drinking it.

"What happened?" Eunji crossed her arms.

"What?" He didn't look at her.

"You were too frustrated just a moment ago. That's not like you." She sighed. "Your parents clearly looked worried."

"It's none of your business." He also sighed. "Just stuff with bad clients. Nothing else."

"Hmm." Eunji nodded.

"You can sit." He nodded and she sat on the other end of the bench.

"I know it's difficult but you shouldn't have done that. I was just joking with them. No matter how much things happen, just keep it inside yourself for some moments." Eunji explained to him.

"I know but it just...happens." Seung-cheol took another sip of his coffee.

"Also, about the morning. I won't tell anyone about it. It will be just with me." She looked at her phone to look at the time.

"Thank you." He nodded and threw his head back. She looked at him and like always, her eyes landed on his neck and his opened lips.

"And yes, I don't know about the scandal you talked about." She tore off her gaze from there and looked in front of her at the person a cartoon costume distributing balloons.

"Like I said, I'm surprised you don't know about it." He sat straight. "It happened 11 years ago. Maybe, 12 or 13 now."

"Wait, let me calculate." Eunji started counting on her fingers. "I was like...14 at that time... Oh..." She suddenly trailed off. "I wouldn't know about it."

"Why?"

"Just some stuff had happened..." Eunji sighed and clicked her tongue. "Tell me about it."

"I wouldn't have told anyone about this if it wasn't in the public eyes at that time." He let out a dry chuckle. "But the dispatch had already spread it."

"I see." She nodded.

"I'll reveal more since you have been working for me for so many months. It will be a year in a few more months." Seung-cheol looked at the coffee can.

She looked at him.

"You have taken care of Jiyoon from behind my back. Also helped her with badminton. I never received any complaints about you. You have never tried to meddle with anything other than your work." Seung-cheol spoke everything.

It was true. Eunji never dared to step into their personal space. She never touched anything she didn't know or wasn't permitted to.

She didn't know what was happening outside Jiyoon's little space in the house. She came to their house, took care of Jiyoon, and went back to her house.

Eunji doesn't know anything about Seung-cheol nor does he know anything about her.

"You are speaking too much." She coughed and looked away. She felt a little shy after he praised her.

"You are like Jiyoon's best friend. So, I'll tell you about her." Seung-cheol looked up at the sky.

-Years ago-
Seung-cheol's POV

"It's nice to meet you, Mister and Missus Choi." A couple I didn't know came to us as I was with my parents. It was another big rich couple that my parents knew but I didn't.