14. Broken heart

~ Jarred's POV~

When I had got with Natasha to come up with a plan to breakup Ryan and Valerie, I came up with the idea of storming in on them and what not, but Natasha came up with the part of getting him arrested. She went and told the police that Ryan had hit her and she has some other people say they saw it happen.

What makes things way more better is that some other charges have come up *cough, cough* and this could possibly send him to prison. I already heard through the grapevine that he's doing 2 months in jail for the abuse charge.

During this period of grief for Valerie, we have grown more closer to each other and it's the best. It still may be too soon, but I'm going to finally confess my love to Valerie. I think it's time that she knows.

I get a call from Natasha and I bet it's dealing with more great news, "What's the good news now?"

"Not good news, he's not going to prison after all. The judge dropped the phony charges and he might even drop the abuse charge!"

I was livid, "What?! How?"

"You know Ryan has connections. Anyway he should be getting out soon, but I don't know how soon."

"Thanks for telling me. "

How could this happen, I had everything planned out, I guess I can always go with plan B. After my phone call with Natasha someone was at the door, I went to answer it and it was Nathan.

"You mind explaining to me why my sister is upset?!" He barged his way in a grabbed me by my shirt collar

"It wasn't me, but like I said I'm handling it." He roughly let me go and glared at me

"Do you mind telling me what the fuck is going on?! I go over to our parents house and she's upstairs listening to country music and she hates country music."

"I told you that I was going to get rid of Ryan and I did. He's in jail right now and she's just a little upset."

"That better be all! I'm not playing Jarred!." He pointed at me

"I promise it is, and I'm going to go over there and make things better."

"Alright, but get this shit under control, I can't stand to see her that way."

"I will you have my word." He roughly slammed the door behind him and I let out a breath of relief. I went to the kitchen and grabbed a bottle of wine that I was saving for Valerie for a special occasion, but I think this would do.

I made it to Valerie's parents house and it brings back a lot of great memories. The time were I used to stay across the street and would always sneak out just to see Valerie. I stopped by the store and also picked up a teddy bear, ice cream and a scarf that I think she would like.

I knocked on the front door and I heard heels coming towards the door, it opened and it was Mrs. Henderson. She was dressed in a silk shirt, tucked in her skirt, 3 inch heels and her hair pulled back in a bun. "Hi Mrs. Henderson, is Valerie still here?"

"Yes, but she should be waking up soon, come in." I followed her in the living room where Charlotte was sitting on the couch and had her water bowl on the floor.

"I bought all these for Valerie, I know she's been feeling down lately."

Victoria came over and looked at everything in my hand, "Why did you buy her a scarf?"

"I thought it would look nice on Valerie."

She scoffed, "It's so ugly. I would take it back."

"I think she might like it."

She laughed and took the bottle of wine from my hands, "Yeah okay whatever you say."

She sat on the couch and unscrewed the cap and poured herself a drink. She sipped slowly and put the glass down, "It's okay, Valerie is not much of a drinker."

The nerve of this woman to take my drink and start drinking it. "So Jarred I heard that you have a little love interest in my daughter, as if I didn't already know that." She said interrupting my thoughts

"How did you hear about it?"

"Come on now Jarred, you've known Valerie almost all her life and you follow her around like a lost little puppy. It's written all over your body that you like her." She smiled

"Yes I do like her a lot." I said shamelessly

"My angel, my sweet sweet angel. She's my pride and joy." She said happily

"But personally, I don't think you're the right man for Valerie. I want someone who is going to take good care of my angel because you certainly aren't doing a good job." She said

"Mrs. Henderson, I'm doing the best I can."

"Well your best isn't good enough for my baby girl. If you want to be with Valerie then you have to prove to me that you deserve to have her."

I was stunned, I wouldn't have expected this from her, "What?"

"What? You thought you only had to kiss Nathan's ass? I'm the one you should be concerning yourself with. Yeah sure, Nate's a handful but I'm the one that created the monster. So Nathan is of the least of your worries, because if I'm not happy, you're not gonna be happy." She said with a devious smile

I was shocked and a little bit frightened, "Mrs. Henderson I.."

"Don't bother trying to tell on me. Who's gonna believe you? You should know that I have a way of persuasion." She looked at me with hooded eyes while she sipped on the wine

I heard footsteps from downstairs and Valerie came down and sat next to Victoria while she picked up Charlotte and sat her on her lap. "Hey Jarred, how long have you been here?"

"Few minutes. I bought you some things." I gave her the bear, ice cream and scarf.

"Aw thank you, it's not scarf season yet, but thank you anyway." She smiled

"I bought you some wine but.." I pointed at the bottle already open on the table

"I wanted to taste it, I know you're not much of a drinker. Here try it." Victoria gave Valerie the glass as she sipped the wine

"It's good, I like it."

"I'll buy some more when I go back to the store."

"How did you sleep sweetie, is your head still hurting?" Victoria grabbed Valerie's head and laid it on her chest

"I slept okay and my head is fine now. I think the medicine you gave me worked."

"That's good. I'll leave you two alone and it was nice seeing you Jarred." She got off the couch and smirked at me while she walked past me. I took a shaky breath and went to sit next to Valerie.