let me give you a chance

I pinned my ultrasound pictures to my bulletin board and stood back and smiled. I'm so happy. Sure, my baby might be the size of a plum, but they're already my whole world. I grabbed my phone and started checking my messages when the text message from Lincoln came up. 

I feel so bad for just leaving him on read. It's not his fault hat I freaked out on him. I mean, I lead the poor guy on. He probably thought we were on a date by the way he acted. And I just let him. And maybe I should give him another chance. It's clear that I'll never be getting Fergal back. It's clear that he's happy with someone else. Why can't I be happy with someone else? 

But that doesn't mean I'm not going to be honest with him. I have to tell him that I'm pregnant. I have to tell him about Fergal and why I really came home to San Jose. Even if that means losing him. I picked up my phone and stared a it for a few more seconds before typing my response.

Me: Let me take you to dinner tonight. I'll pick you up at 6. Wear something casual :)

Within a minute I got his response back.

Lincoln: I'll be ready for 6. :)

I smiled at my phone and threw it onto my bed. I'm really nervous about telling Lincoln about the baby. I mean, what if he just walks out on me? I wouldn't blame him at all. It's not his baby, why would he want the burden of raising someone else's child? But I still have to tell him.

And if he decides that he still wants to be with me, I wanna take things slow with him. I'm not trying to rush into anything or play family with him. And I'm still not sure how comfortable I am with being someone else. I don't want it to seem like I'm rushing from one relationship to the other at all. But, I feel like I truly deserve some happiness in my life too. But, I'm getting my hopes a little too high. I just need to see if Lincoln even wants me in the slightest after I tell him my news.

+

I pulled into Lincoln's driveway as I took a deep breath. I really wanted to impress him so I bought him some flowers and some champagne. Even if I couldn't drink it, that doesn't mean he couldn't. I walked up to his door and knocked on it. 

"Hey there beautiful."

Lincoln said as he opened the door.

"Hey. These are for you."

I said with a smile as I handed him the bouquet of flowers and champagne bottle. 

"Wow, you are always going to show me up, aren't you."

Lincoln said as I laughed.

"You ready to go?"

"Yep."

He said as he grabbed his jacket and we headed to my car.

+

"Ah, the famous diner."

Lincoln said as we sat in a booth. When we were in high school, we used to go to this diner not far from our school and have milkshakes and burgers. It might be cliché but this place is really special to me. I hope it's still special to him.

"I figured it would bring back some good memories."

I said with a smile as I looked through the menu. Soon the waitress came to take our order. 

"I've got it."

Lincoln said with a smile as I laughed.

"Two burger combos, both with vanilla milkshakes please."

He said as he flashed his perfect smile that always made me melt. We handed the menus over and went back to conversation.

"I'm really glad you gave me another chance."

Lincoln said.

"Yeah. Um, before we get far ahead in conversation, I'd rather admit this to you so you can yell and leave before the bill comes."

I said as Lincoln gave me a confused look.

"Listen, I didn't tell you the total truth on why I came home. I came home because I went through a breakup with my boyfriend of three years."

"Fergal Devitt?"

Lincoln asked me in surprise.

"Uh yeah. How did you-"

"Pam, I watched all of your matches. I knew about your personal life thanks to Instagram."

"Oh, yeah that. Anyway, um, so I never got to tell Fergal this before he broke up with me but...I'm pregnant."

I said. Lincoln took a deep breath as he sat back in the booth.

"Is that why you freaked out the other night at my house?"

"No. I was....just overwhelmed with how I still feel with Fergal. But I know I need to move on from him."

"That's kinda hard with his baby inside of you, isn't it?"

Lincoln snapped at me.

"I'm sorry. I should've told you before we even went out to the bar."

I said as I buried my head into my hands. I felt tears fall down my face until I felt Lincoln move my hands from my face.

"Listen, I'm sorry for snapping at you. I'm not totally ecstatic that you're pregnant with someone else's baby. But, if I learned anything from our high school days, it's that I don't wanna lose you again. I can't lose you again. So let's just take things slow, alright?"

"Alright. Thank you for not flipping out on me."

I said with a smile. 

"Of course not. I'm still just happy to be in your company."

Lincoln said with a smile. I'm really glad that Lincoln wants anything at all to do with me. And I'm really glad that I finally can find some happiness within this whole situation. Some people might think I'm rushing this or that I'm rushing into having a family with another guy while still having feelings for Fergal but I'm not. I'm trying to move on. And if this is going to find me some happiness, I don't see anything wrong with it.