wherever you are

Time Jump / 6 Months Later

I walked across the patchy grass, hearing the grass crunch underneath my beat-up sneakers, as I approached the grey stone that I have been looking for for a solid 10 minutes.  I sighed as I sat down on the ground, picked up the wilted wreath of flowers, and placed another one in its absence. I took a deep breath as I read the tombstone.

Fergal Devitt
1981-2020.
loving and devoted father, husband, and human being.

"Hey baby. It's been a minute since I've been able to get up here."

I said as I fiddled with my engagement ring. Having 6 kids to watch over is more stressful then I could ever imagine. I wish I had help but it's mostly just me. I wish Fergal was here to be my rock. But I don't really have a rock nowadays.

"I hope you aren't upset. It's hard trying to find a babysitter for all the kids. They miss you a lot. We all do."

I said. I try to make it up here at least once a week. It's been hard trying to find a consistent babysitter and It's been a few weeks since I've been able to come visit. It doesn't mean I don't care. Life just sucks right now.

"Kinsley had her 6th birthday yesterday. It's crazy to think that this journey started six years ago. She told me that her birthday wish was to see her Daddy one last time. I think she really wants you to meet Finn and Alex."

I sighed as I looked at the ground. Finn and Alex Devitt. One boy and one girl. I like to think that the twins ended up being one of each for the both of us. One for Fergal and one for me. I decided to name our little boy Finn to honor Fergal. I know he would've loved it. Alex's name doesn't really have a story behind it. Just something Ashley and I came up with. I like it.

"I really wish you were here to see the twins. They have your eyes and little Finn looks just like you. I just wish you were here. You'd be able to teach the boys how to be the best men they can be. And you'd teach the kids how to be whatever they want to be in life. I don't know if I can do it without you, Fergie."

I said as tears fell down my face. I quickly wiped them away as I remembered that I can't cry. Fergal wouldn't want me to cry. I've tried not to cry since he left. I don't have time to grieve. I mean, I have 6 kids to take care of. Grieving isn't on my plate. So I just try and push everything down and settle myself.

"I better get going. Leaving Mercades with all the kids means a recipe for disaster in our house. I love you Fergie."

I said with a smile. I got up off the ground and headed towards my car. I don't know where life takes me from here. I don't know where this life will lead the kids and I. I don't think I'll ever find love one day but who knows? I guess it's time to see what journey life takes me on.

The End.

Author's Note:
Hey guys! I hope you enjoyed this book! Let me know if you guys want to see a sequel to this book or if I should end it where it is. If you haven't seen my announcement yet, please check it on my page! Thank you guys for making this book the success it is! - Jordan