broken promises

"You know, I really don't like having to help you pack just so you can leave me."

I said as I folded another one of Link's dress pants and put them in his suitcase. Link is leaving for his business trip and it just really worries me about how long he'll be gone. I don't even know if I'll be able to reach him if I need him.

"Yeah but then you would yell at me if all of this wasn't folded in my suitcase."

Link said with a smile as I rolled my eyes and pouted. I know Link is only trying to lighten the mood, but it's not helping in this situation.

"Oh, lighten up babe. I'll be here before you know it. I promise."

Link said.

"It's not the point. I don't want you to be gone. I don't want to have to call you when I'm in the hospital by myself."

I said as I threw another piece of clothing into the suitcase.

"Well, if you stay in bed and relax like the doctor recommended, then Adalyn won't come so soon. I'll be here. And you can kill me if I'm not. But that won't happen because I'll be here. I promise."

Link said.

"Fine. I'm holding you to that."

I said.

"Sounds good to me."

He said as he placed a kiss on my lips. This still doesn't make me feel alright about this business trip. To be honest, it's making me feel a lot worse.

+

"I don't want you to go."

I sniffled as we waited for Link's taxi. I don't want him to go. I don't want to be here by myself. I don't want to be alone and worrying about if I'm going to be having Adalyn by myself.

"I know. I'll be back soon. And you have the number to my hotel so I'll be here if you need me. I know you're scared but I'm here."

Link said as he wiped my tears. That's when his taxi pulled into the driveway.

"I love you."

Link said as he hugged me.

"I love you too."

I said as I tried to hold my tears back. I probably seem like an overdramatic teenager right now but the possibility of Link not being here when Adalyn is born is becoming more and more real.

"I love you too, baby girl. Be good for Mommy and stay in until Daddy is home."

Link said to my stomach as I laughed.

"I'll see you soon."

Link said before grabbing his suitcase and walking towards the taxi. I waved him off until I couldn't see his taxi anymore. How do I get through the next 12 days?

+

"Are you ready to see Daddy?"

I asked Kinsley as I finished dressing her. It's been five days since Link left. He calls every night and tells me all about the cool stuff he's doing in Hawaii. Sounds like a dream. I'm just trying to make the best out of this whole situation. I haven't been really listening to the bed rest order. I know Link would be holding me right now but...it's my week with Kinsley and it could be the last time I have her without Adalyn here.

"Dada."

She said as I smiled. 

"Yeah. Daddy is coming to get you today."

I said. All of a sudden I felt a small cramp in my back and stomach. It hurt enough to make me wince. I brushed it off as I picked Kinsley up and carried her to the living room. As soon as I placed her down on the couch, I heard a knock at the door.