thinking how you could be so selfish

1 month later

"Do I have to go to this?"

I whined as Ashley continued to curl my hair. 

"Yes! It's your sprinkle too!"

Ashley said as I sighed. Somehow between grieving and getting back to normal life, I got talked into doing joint baby showers with Mercades. But mine would be considered a sprinkle since it's my second child. I don't know how I let myself get talked into this since I hated the attention I got at my first one but...Mercy and Link seem so excited so here we are.

"There! You look beautiful!" 

Ashley said as she threw the last curl of my hair around my shoulder. My hair has actually gotten so long since I had Kinsley. It's nearly down my back. I guess I just haven't had the time for a trim. I stood up and looked at myself in the mirror as I let out a breath. Ashley sucked me into this tight white dress that Mercades picked out for me. I guess we're going to match or something. It's no secret that this last month has been one of the hardest of my life. So hopefully today is just a day to let off some steam.

"You guys ready?"

Link asked as he walked into the bedroom. I looked up in the mirror to see him staring at one prominent feature of my body.

"Are you staring at my ass?"

I asked him.

"Well, what can I say? It's a great ass."

Link said as I rolled my eyes and smiled.

"You look beautiful though."

Link said as he walked over to me and wrapped his arms around my waist.

"I love you."

"I love you too."

Link said as he kissed my cheek. We all headed out of the house and towards the venue that Mercy has picked out. I'm not really sure where this place is. I wasn't really involved in planning this party. Hell, Link planned more than I did. We walked in to the whole place being decked out in pink and blue. Most of Mercy's family, Link's family, and all of our friends were there already so it seemed like us three were late to the party.

"Pam! Theres the other mommy of the hour."

Mercy said as she placed a sash around me. I sighed as I looked around the room. I didn't know how badly this would hurt. Everyone has family here but me. Everyone has a support group of their parents and siblings but me. I have no one. 

"You okay?"

Link asked as he wrapped his arm around me. I nodded as I held back my tears and walked towards the places that Mercy had set for us. Today is going to be a long day.

+

"You having fun?"

Link asked as I watched Mercy open presents with everyone surrounding her. I shouldn't be jealous. That's my best friend. I should be happy. I guess it's just annoying that I was told today would be about me too and so far...it hasn't been.

"Yep."

I said as I shoveled another piece of cake in my mouth. I watched Mercy stand up and walk over to the DJ to ask for a microphone. 

"I just wanted to thank everyone for coming out and supporting Pam and I."

Mercy said as she pointed over to Link and I. I smiled as everyone clapped for us.

"I just can't wait to see our little boy and little girl be best friends!"

She said. Little girl? I don't even know the gender of the baby yet.

"We don't know the gender yet, Mercy."

I said to her.

"That's not what Link told me. He told me you guys are having a baby girl."

Mercy said as she sounded confused. I looked over at Link who looked like he had seen a ghost.

"Surprise?"

He said to me. I got up from the table and stormed out of the room. We agreed on waiting till the baby was here to find out the gender. Yet he went behind my back and found out. How selfish is that?

"Pam stop!"

Link yelled as I walked out of the venue. 

"Why? You were suppose to wait with me! We were going to find out together but you went behind my back and asked the doctor!"

I yelled at him.

"I'm sorry Pam. I just couldn't wait."

He said as I scoffed at him.

"How long have you known?"

I asked him as I folded my arms across my chest.

"Since our 20 week appointment."

"You're un-fucking-believeable."

I said as I stormed away.

"Where are you going?"

Link asked as I pulled my car keys out of the jacket I was wearing.

"Somewhere away from you!"

I said as I got into the car and pulled out of the parking lot. And I just drove. I don't know where I'm driving to. But I'll just keep driving. Maybe it'll help me escape from some of the pain in my fucking life.