shock to the system

"There's my beautiful girlfriend."

Fergal said with a smile as he put his suitcase on the floor and crawled into bed with me. I smiled as I grabbed his face and kissed him.

"I've missed you."

"I've missed you too."

Fergal said. Fergal laid down next to me as I placed my head on his chest. He played with my hair as I began to fall asleep.

"What do you think about another baby?"

Fergal asked. I looked up at him with wide eyes.

"Another baby? While you're on the road 5 days a week?"

I asked him.

"I mean, I could take some time off. I wouldn't leave you stranded."

Fergal said as I sighed.

"I mean, we already have two under two. It's gonna be really hard."

"But we're in this together."

Fergal said with a smile. I always cave when I see his smile. And he damn well knows it too.

"Okay fine. Let's have another baby!"

I said with a smile.

+

"Negative."

I said as I tossed the pregnancy test at Fergal. It's been 3 months since we decided to try and have a baby and for some reason, I can't get pregnant. Which has never been an issue in the past.

"I'll put it with the rest."

Fergal said as I sighed. We decided to go to see a fertility specialist since we have been struggling with this. I don't think I'm ready to hear that either of us are infertile though.

"Hey, don't beat yourself up over this."

Fergal said as he placed his hand on my arm.

"It's just never taken me this long to get pregnant. I just hope there's nothing wrong with me."

I sighed.

"I'm sure everything is fine."

"Let's hope."

I said.

+

"This is taking way too long."

I whined as Fergal and I sat in the office, waiting for the doctor to come back with our test results.

"Don't stress about it. I'm sure everything is fine."

Fergal said as I sighed. That's when the doctor came in with a concerned look on her face.

"Okay, so Pam, your results are normal. But Fergal...we have something to talk about."

She said.

"What's wrong?"

"We found an unnatural amount of cells in your system. We did a few extra tests and talked it over with another specialist in this building. You have bladder cancer."

The doctor explained. My heart sunk to my stomach. I looked at Fergal who was in total shock.

"I'm going to recommend you to a specialist but we know that it is at stage 4. Now, you're still able to have children, if you choose to go that route. We just recommend you guys make your decision soon."

The doctor said. Fergal and I left the office and as soon as we got in the car, Fergal broke down into tears.

"I'm so sorry baby."

I said as Fergal cried. How am I suppose to comfort him? How do you comfort someone who just got a death sentence? I have no idea.