Chapter 38: Captain Gi-gan

Calista convinced them to drop the topic for now, but she had a feeling that the only reason they did was because they were hungry.

After dinner, Yona went off to practice her archery for tomorrow, and Hak tagged along. Hani had fallen asleep in Kija's arms, leaving one injured, stubborn, raven-haired girl alone with Yoon. Shin-ah was not too far from his dragon brother and the blonde child, keeping watch over all of them.

After he finished putting some away for her tomorrow, even though it was most likely going to go to Hani, Yoon tossed a couple more pieces of clothing on the ground mindlessly in front of her.

Calista whined how she couldn't see, trying to get Yoon to pick them up for her so that she could discern what it was.

Her jaw dropped when he reluctantly showed off the black shirt and pants. She had only seen a handful of people wear these in the underground, since tunics and dresses were more well known and preferred in Kouka. These garments weren't fancy by any means, but the way that Yoon had made them made them look priceless.

"They'll be easier to move around in." He explained, gesturing to her tattered tunic tied around her waist, Shin-ah's coat still draped around her. "I meant to have it done earlier, but the cloth from the tent was more difficult to work with than I expected, and I needed to wait until I was able to get ahold of some black dye to stain it this color."

Calista was touched. So that's what he used the last of her money for, and why he was so eager to go back to town, despite the dangers that they were faced with only after a couple days being there. He had done it for her.

The shirt had no sleeves, and tailored to her exact specifications so that it would fall just above her hip. He had sewn pieces of the tent that she had shredded with her knives together in a geometric pattern. It looked incredibly comfortable, and had buttons in the back instead of the front.

Yoon must've registered the surprise on her face, because he explained that it was so Shin-ah could wrap her back without destroying the masterpiece. It would also allow her to maintain some sort of decency whilst the injuries were being tended to.

"You're lucky that it hasn't become infected with your infrequent changes, you stubborn fighter." He scolded her.

Hak waved his hand at Calista, stealing her attention for a moment. She hadn't even realized he and the princess were back already. "He spent weeks working on it."

"Shut up, Thunder Beast!!" Yoon hissed. Calista chucked, mouthing a silent 'thank you' to avoid aggravating the embarrassed pretty boy any further.

Yona was the one to help her into her new clothes, the men obediently turning around to give her some privacy.

"Yoon is amazing." Yona applauded his ingenuity, buttoning up the shirt with careful fingers, then returned the overcoat to its rightful owner.

"Yeah," Calista agreed quietly, moved by his thoughtful gift. "He really is."

The princess fidgeted the material over her form before clasping the new cloak around her shoulders. It was so comfortable.

She would cherish them forever.

After a thankfully uneventful night that enabled her to get some much needed sleep, it was time to gear up. Unfortunately, her friends had not forgotten about last night.

They tried everything to dissuade her. Yoon's logic of her staying behind with Hani was suspended when Calista suggested just bringing her along. After all, the little girl would be safest in a group where all of them were capable of protecting her, not to mention she wasn't sure she could adequately ensure the little one's safety in her own recovering state.