Chapter 24: Complications

There was an abundance of villagers at the cave's entrance who had swarmed around them. It didn't take long for Calista to piece it together that Kija was currently the only thing holding them at bay. 

A multitude of hand-held torches lit up the area, casting its dangerous glow on the group, enabling her to see just how many had gathered.

There were easily at least fifty masked villagers blocking their way out. 

"Princess, please stay back." Kija insisted, placing a protective arm out in front of Yona as she broke out of the entrance. 

His blue eyes widened as they landed on Calista's form. "I'm glad you are safe. We were worried about you."

The sentiment wasn't lost on her, but there was no time to acknowledge it.

"Kija." 

Hakuryuu twisted his head to look at her. The grim expression on her face mirrored his. 

"They came to kill us, haven't they?"

"You were looking for Seiryuu!!" One of the villagers shouted at her, and the rest of them jeered haughtily. "You must be put to death!!"

This power must never know the outside world, huh? 

There wasn't a chance to ponder it further.

She cocked her head to the side in alarm, shooting up as she heard the vibrations first before anyone else.

"Earthquake!" The villagers cried out, their confidence evaporating into thin air.

Calista sprinted to Yoon, forcing him as close to the floor as he could go, and Kija braced himself over Yona, both of them acting as shields when the rocks came falling down.

She flinched as she felt the rock make contact with her already battered body, and Yoon glanced up at her.

"You-" He was cut off as the crashing grew louder, and he squeezed his eyes shut out of instinct.

As quickly as it started, it stopped.

"Are you hurt?" Calista's silver eyes scanned over Yoon's trembling body quickly, looking for any signs of injury. Her arms and back had taken quite a beating, but it was bearable for now, thanks to Seiryuu's earlier handiwork. 

"No, no," He shook his head, causing the feathers to dance in his hair. "I'm fine."

"Kija..." Yona's soft voice floated through the air, reaching her ears just as she was helping Yoon up onto his feet. 

"Are you alright?" Kija was giving Yona similar treatment as Calista had to Yoon.

"It's no use." The villagers' murmurs grew louder. "The entrance to this passage is blocked."

Yona and Yoon exchanged panicked looks.

Now, would be a good time to show up, Hak.

"We can't leave?!" A villager exclaimed.

"We're going to die?!" Another shouted out, desperation leaking through his voice.

"Yoon," Calista's sharp voice cut through the rising chaos, noticing the boy was shaking with tears welling up in his eyes. "It's going to be alright." She placed a comforting hand on his shoulder.

"But with this amount of people in this cramped space," The normally confident and sharp-witted genius pretty boy was visibly shaken. "We'll run out of air!"

Her jaw clenched. 

He wasn't wrong, she was already starting to feel light-headed, but they needed to stay calm. Freaking out wouldn't help the situation, it would only worsen it.