Chapter 57: Hak and Yona

Calista had been drifting off when she cracked one eye open as she heard hushed whispering.

"Hah!!" She deflected the incoming projectile instinctively, then immediately scrambled to catch it as she realized what it was.

Her glare pierced through the leaves as she cupped the oblivious squirrel carefully in her hands. She met Jae-ha's not so apologetic smirk before he was shoved to the ground, and enraged Shin-ah standing over him with his fists clenched.

Calista hastily hopped down with Ao perched securely on her shoulder.

She got in between them quickly, placing a firm hand on Shin-ah's chest and urging him away.

"She's alright, Shin-ah, it's okay." 

He gently petted the squirrel casually munching on an acorn. Jae-ha propped a knee up, unbothered by the display of aggression from the usually serene blue dragon.

"She would have been fine." He assured him leisurely.

"... You threw her."

His voice was deeper, edging on a growl and Calista gulped, a shiver shooting down her spine.

Wordlessly, she handed the fluffy squirrel back to the grateful Seiryuu as Kija hit Jae-ha over the head for being so foolish. Shin-ah petted Ao underneath her chin and she squeaked happily, ignorant of the conflict brewing between the dragon brothers.

She was just wondering where her brother and Yona were when the said princess burst into the area, almost knocking her over.

Throwing an apology over her shoulder, she grabbed Shin-ah's arm and hauled him behind her. He stumbled quickly, but recovered quickly, following her into the woods.

Calista raised an eyebrow at Jae-ha as the two disappeared out of sight.

"Any idea what that was about?"

He shrugged and she grinned as she heard it. Spinning around on her heel, her knife was stopped short by familiar steel.

Pulling back, Hak rested his glaive across his shoulders, eyes troubled.

Calista frowned, recognizing that look in his eye. "What's wrong?"

He let out a heavy sigh, the only kind he did when he was feeling very conflicted about something.

The others looked puzzled, but she crossed her arms over her chest.

"Spit it out." She said firmly.

"She wants me to teach her swordsmanship." He replied quietly so that only she could hear him.

Her body went rigid at this new information. She thought Yona had dropped the topic after she and Hak both voiced how against they were about it. But if she put her mind to it, then she would get it one way or another.

She casually strolled around the grounds, thinking hard about what he said. Teaching the princess how to wield a sword would come with its own set of problems. Pretty soon, there would be nothing that she or Hak could say to convince her to fight behind them.

The princess was going to go out on the front lines, to protect those that had kept her safe all this time.

After a while, she came across a very nervous Shin-ah.

Calling out his name in concern, her gaze swept over him, checking for injuries.

"Yona... she's hurt."

She stiffened as soon as she saw the bloody sword hanging by his side, quickly piecing it together.

"She tried to convince you to teach her, huh?"