62

Jayden: I told myself I'm not going to cry. I feel like one of my babies is getting her wings. Mackenzie has worked under me for nearly ten years. From a student intern receptionist to assistant to associate dean. She's put in the work and now she's going off to do her own thing. The Dean of Sociology Tulane University and they will be oh so lucky to have you. It is definitely bittersweet to see you go but I know you're going to do great work there.

Mackenzie: Thank you, Jayden. I appreciate you so much for everything you've done for me here. Your mentorship, your guidance, your genuine love and desire for Black women to succeed. No matter the level they're at. You see our vision and push us and you encourage us to kick that imposter syndrome out of the window because we belong. Listen...I am going to cry. Because I will miss all of you. Y'all have become my family and we've made some great memories here.

Jayden: Come here, girl. I said I wasn't going to cry.

Jayden walked over to Mackenzie and put her arms around her, hugging her tight and rocking side to side. "You are going to shake shit up in New Orleans, baby. I'm so proud of you."

Mackenzie's going away party was being held at Tia's Mexican Restaurant. The college had rented a private party room, decorated in Tulane colors and a two-tier red velvet white chocolate chip cake and cream cheese icing.

Jayden had already been interviewing new candidates for the associate dean position. She feared she wouldn't find another perfect fit like Mackenzie. Mackenzie was a mini Jayden. She was enthused and passionate. She was fiery. She had goals and for that reason, she knew she wouldn't be there for ever. But she felt like now was too soon.

Jayden had even considered that maybe it was her time too. Maybe her nonprofit should be moved to the front burner. But that was hard because she felt like she still had work to do. And what if the next dean reversed all the progress she'd made at the college. So many what if's and not enough answers...