6

As soon as she walked in her office, there was a huge bouquet of roses and sunflowers at the receptionist desk.

Her intern, a Women's & Gender Studies grad student, handed them to her. "These were here for you when I got here, Jayden."

Jayden looked confused.

Jayden: Who does it say they're from?

Mackenzie: I didn't want to get all in your business. They're beautiful though!

Jayden searched for a card. "Wishing a great day to my favorite dean. Dinner at your place tonight. I'll cook. -*heart* Gym Bae"

"This man..." Jayden mumbled to herself as she cheesed incredibly hard.

Mackenzie: Are they from Gym Bae?

Jayden: They are...from Gym Bae. We FINALLY got together over the weekend.

The Associate Dean, Sherri Broussard, walked into the office.

Sherri was a forty-three year old married Black woman from Louisiana. Mackenzie was a twenty-three year old biracial, Korean & Black graduate student from Ohio. She was engaged to an international student from the Dominican Republic. The three had become the best of (work) friends, after having worked together for several years. Mackenzie was Sherri's TA for her Sociology capstone class. They often had "meetings" where they sat and talked about life, significant others, and the struggles of living in White America and working at a PWI. They kept it professional with others, but had no censor when it came to just the three of them. These were the perks of having an office filled with women of color. 

Sherri: Good morning, ladies! Beautiful flowers! Who are those for?!

Mackenzie: They're from the infamous Gym Bae!

Sherri: Okay, Gym Bae!

Jayden: We hooked up this weekend.

Mackenzie: I saw your Instagram post. He is FINE!

Jayden: He is SO fine! And so sweet! We hung out after the gym yesterday and then he asked to take me out, so I went home and got dressed and we went on a date!

Sherri: Okay, we need details! Let me get in here and check some emails and we're having a meeting in your office.

Jayden and Mackenzie laughed as she grabbed her flowers and carried them to her office.

She set her stuff down and got her oatmeal ready to put in the microwave. While she waited on it to get ready, she opened up Outlook and checked her email. It was filled with the usual university junk mail and a few emails from students wanting to meet with her. She replied to the emails and called Cam.

Cam: Hey baby! Miss me already?

Jayden: Thank you for these beautiful flowers! They're gorgeous and you're way too sweet!

Cam: I'm glad you like them. Camden put me on to roses and sunflowers. I hoped you'd like them. Does that mean yes to dinner?

Jay: Of course. Can you cook though?

Cam: Can I cook?! Woman, the question is what can't I cook? Mexican or Italian?

Jay: Mexican!

Cam: I got you! Tonight at 6:30. Ima run home and get comfortable and then stop by the grocery store and grab everything I need and head over. Is that cool?

Jay: Sounds good!

Cam: Okay, I gotta go. I have a meeting in five minutes. I need to gather a few documents. See you tonight.