Chapter 2

It took a solid week for a building to be secured. Zenchu was seen escorting an elderly lady wearing a much larger kimono for comfort and movement around the town to look for building furnishings. She was hunched over and her gray hair was in a neat bun. He kept his tail wrapped around his waist like a massive, stylish belt. It was common practice to him, and he didn't mind in the slightest. The grey tank top, cameo pants and boots he wore completed his outfit neatly. Of course, they were altered to fit his incredibly tall frame.

"Where is my walking cane?" the elderly woman sighed.

"You are holding it," Zenchu said. This is the tenth time I told her! She needs to get rid of that snake! I'm starting to think her mind is slowly being lost with each transformation...

"Oh! Yes. That I am. Thank you, child," she chuckled and started to slowly hobble along with him right at her heels like a protective watchdog.

"Of course, Grandmother," he nodded and guided her safely across the street. Many people would stare at his intense height and size, but he ignored them all. His mission was to guard the important woman at his side. When she started to slow down, he was quick to move and scoop her up.

"You need to let me walk," she muttered and let him help secure her walking cane to his makeshift belt. His tail would easily hold it in place and out of the way for easier movements.

"You are getting tired. I don't think you can keep up with me with the sun so high in the sky," Zenchu sighed and adjusted the sunglasses he wore. Then he thought of an idea. :Inichi! Can we get a small cart that I can just put her in to haul behind me? I'm starting to think that she's losing herself with each change.:

:Oh, my! I fear you may be right with your suspicions. Yes, we can procure one post-haste! We could also use it for other purposes, too, come to think of it. We will see about acquiring two of them. One for her and another for supply transfers. Kianna will look into it.: The powerful empathic monster confirmed. When they got to a major street cross-way, the crowd suddenly screamed when a monster resembling a giant stag beetle jumped out of the ground to attack them.

"Hah! I am the great Beetlemeister! I loved collecting beetles so much, that I became one myself! Let me show you what all I can do!" the monster howled and flipped over several cars with his jaws.

"Such a shame..." the old lady sighed.

"I know. Come. We'll go elsewhere..." Zenchu said and turned only to find the massive bug man in his way. "Please go away. Heroes will be here soon to squash you with a giant boot."

"My armor is impenetrable!" the monster boasted.

"You poor thing. I wonder how many family members you left behind when you changed. Don't you have any family?" the old lady frowned.

"Lady Mitsumi..." Zenchu muttered.

"Come now, child. The poor thing is clearly at a loss," she chuckled and smiled gently at the now stunned bug monster.

"Family...?" Beetlemeister seemed to blink his large, black eyes.

"Why, yes. Did you not have children once? A village? A home you once called your own?" the elderly Mitsumi asked.

"I...no! I don't!" the bug man said defiantly.

"Ah. Then we have no further business to discuss. Please be on your way," she said with a soft nod. When the bug man made no move to do as she asked, she seemed to shrug and look at Zenchu. "Grandson, what do you think of this?"

"It appears that I may have to make him move," Zenchu said with a low growl of warning. He had a free hand that was ready to lash out with retractable claws that could easily rend steel to shreds.