Chapter 106

The clear, crystal blue lake water nestled in the remote mountain region was untouched for several decades. Possibly even centuries.  It had time to build up on fish, game and other intense resources. Peaceful and quiet, everything was in perfect, rhythmic balance. That was until the first line was cast into the water by Kamikaze.

"Ahh! Nothing like breaking in a virgin lake!" he grinned and set up a fold-out chair to recline in. He pulled Tacki into his lap with a sigh of contentment.

"Really?" Tacki blinked at him to get a wider grin in response. Others began to cast in their lines and settle on the small chairs that were brought with them. Umbrellas were even set up for shade.  King sat back in his chair with Kianna in his lap to let her work with the fishing pole and watch him play a portable game. Anno and Takeda set up a table for de-scaling and preparing any future fish caught. Buckets were set out to hold the fish in to keep them fresh, and Shenjou stretched out to take a short nap in the sun. Everyone was looking forward to some light gossip and hooking a fish.

"This place is beautiful!" Mitsumi gasped when she got out of the push cart to take in the surroundings. Saitama kept her close and looked around with her.

"This place looks like it's been concealed for a very long time..." Zenchu mused. "How'd you find this place, Inichi?"

"Wind Crane knew of it," Inichi nodded. "Ah...hmm...interesting..."

"What is it?" Mitsumi asked.

"There is something here. Definitely here in the water..." he blinked his red eyes with black cat pupils with curiosity now. "Wind Crane?"

The large crane monster strode over and dipped into the water to ruffle her feathers to have a small bath. She was purposely making loud splashing noises to alert whatever was in the water to come out and meet them.

"Hey! You're scaring away the fish!" Kamikaze scowled. Then he blinked at the massive, rippling whirlpool that appeared in the middle of the lake. It showed that Wind Crane clearly alarmed something. "Wait..."

"That can't be from a fish!" Fumio gaped.

"Back away from the water!" Inichi said quickly. Saitama stood where he was with Mitsumi, though. Even Wind Crane stayed where she was and watched the long, serpentine neck appear to rise up over the water at nearly four stories tall. Deep blue, iridescent scales shimmered in its own rippling way from the sunlight and revealed green and gold flecks in each one. A finned line went down its back and seemed to appear in layered waves around its face like that of a frilled lizard, but it almost resembled an elongated catfish from the muzzle. Long, antennae-like whiskers twitched with irritation at being disturbed. It also looked like there was a lot more of the monster under the lake waters, too.

"Who dares to disturb my...?!" it started before spotting Wind Crane. It definitely recognized her and was in shock that she was there after so long.

"You're so pretty!" Mitsumi gasped with delight.

"Ah..." the monster paused with shock and lost its intense hissing voice to reveal a deepened tone, but not so much that it was booming. "Thank you? I suppose?"

"Do you know her?" Saitama asked and pointed at Wind Crane.

"Once long ago. We met. We agreed to co-exist in exchange for peaceful needs. She did come by now and then when she could with others that accompanied her," the water monster blinked its liquid white eyes and swam over slowly to study them. "Humans...and monsters...together...?"

"Indeed," Inichi chuckled. "You have lived here in seclusion?"

"Centuries," the monster nodded. "Most would run at the sight of me. I am actually older than Wind Crane. I taught her how to swim and fish for herself. But...you don't run from me...?"