Chapter 91

"We slept again?" Mitsumi asked with a yawn from where she was on top of Saitama's chest. He yawned after that and could only nod. "Should we go back out there? We probably should, huh?"

"In a bit," Saitama mumbled and ran a hand over her back.

"Your glowing is almost gone," she chuckled and traced a finger up his chest. "I do have a small theory, though."

"What's that?" he asked.

"If you get mad, or even overly protective, you can bring this glowing back out in full force," she said softly. "I noticed it when you stared at Sonic. Your inner power won't do anything else unless you initiate it, but if you get pissed...you get the idea?"

"I can show it off as a natural effect. Okay. As long as I don't act stupid with it," Saitama mused. "I can work with that."

"Yeah. It actually...makes me feel a lot more at ease," she started. "Just knowing you can show off that inner strength. Not all the time, but enough to show that no one can hurt me. My family, too. I still...can't believe that you're with me. There are times I still think I'm dreaming..."

"Again with the dreams. The thoughts that I can't protect you from. All I can do is prove to you that I'm here. That this is real. Mitsumi...what can I do to make you happy?" Saitama asked and held her close.

"I don't know..." she winced and shivered.

"Nope. Not taking that answer. Okay. Let's go level a building. The new heroes need to see what I can do," Saitama said.

"Um...you killed a monster in front of them. They know what you can do," she said with a small smile.

"Eh..." he rolled his eyes. "What else is there?"

"It's like I said. I don't know what else there is," she shrugged softly. "The thoughts will always come about, Saitama. But I know, too, that you're here. I can touch you. I can squeeze you. My whole life...it was absolute torment. And it was even worse after my father died. I know it's a lot of post-traumatic stress now. Unneeded baggage that I have to carry. I don't...want to tell you..."

"Tell me what?" he asked.

"I can't..." she shivered and shook her head.

"Do I need to get Inichi?" he asked.

"No! It will hurt him, too! Please..." she cringed.

"Then talk to me. Please," he begged softly. "Let me help you."

"There are still times..." she said softly and pressed into him. "I still see the face of that jerkoff...leering at me...no matter what I do..."

"The asshole still haunts you."

"Yes..."

"Even though I killed him. We destroyed that lab."

"Saitama...he...you know what he did to me..."

"All too well."

"I'm trying, Saitama! I'm trying so hard to let it go! And I do. But then it comes back. It's going to take time for it all to leave me. It may be with me for the rest of my life. It's a permanent scar. Nasty memories. And with all the crap we're still finding...all the bullshit...!" she grimaced.

"Give me your rage, Mitsumi," he said softly. "Give me every fear you have. Every angry emotion. Every little bit of disgusting grime and thought that is coming through your mind right now. Give it all to me."

"Why?" she frowned.

"Every time I say that I'm here. That I protect you. That I won't let anyone else touch you. I know I can protect you physically. But mentally? No matter where we go, that bastard is gonna keep coming up. But I know it hurts you to bottle it in. The only thing I know that I can do is listen. I can handle it. I can deal with it. I can store up the anger that I get from it to punch harder at anything that would dare to get between us," Saitama said and squeezed her. "I want to know when your anger started. When your hurt started. Tell me."