TRUSTED PROMISES

the ride was silent except for steve and nancy talking to each other up front while you sat near the back corner of the bus, staring out the window as you thought about everything going on at the moment and where you were all literally heading.

into a war zone.

eddie noticed you, stopping playing the card game with dustin as he lightly tipped his hat before standing up and walking over to you.

"mind if i join your scenic view?" he joked, knowing you'd say yes anyways so he took a seat next to you.

"you're not supposed to be by windows, eddie," you began, about to stand up and walk to the middle of bus but his hand slipped easily into yours to calm you down. he did, however, follow you to the middle of the bus where you two could sit together and talk. "you're forgetting who you currently are, eddie the banished," you mumbled softly, leaning against the wall of the rv as your knee rest against his.

he looked over at you, giving you a gentle smile.

"just making sure you're okay," he said sweetly as your eyes met his.

"i mean, i guess i'm as okay as i can be right now. granted, we're heading into the upside down to kill a creature that seems like he cannot be defeated without eleven so i mean," you replied, your worried eyes still looking into his. "i just don't want to lose you."

"like i said, _____, i'm no hero," he responded as you laughed a little.

"no, but you are! you saved me, dustin, mike," you answered. "you might not think of it that way but the way that dustin looks up to you is respectable on so many levels."

"he is a little butthead," he said softly, only to you. "but he's a loveable butthead."

you laughed, smiling to yourself as your eyes looked over at lucas and max who were in deep conversation. it looked like something serious- probably about what's going to happen.

"hey," he said, catching your attention once more. you nodded, your eyes meeting his again, turning away from max's facial expression to meet your boyfriend's soft eyes. "you told me just now that i saved you. what do you mean?"

"do you really not know?"

he shook his head, his hand with all of his rings finding yours as he held onto it.

"well, munson, since you want to know," you began. "it all started when-"

"okay, okay, enough of the cliche," he laughed, pulling you slightly closer to him as you laughed with him.

"okay, sorry, i just needed to lighten the mood," you explained, still laughing a little. "but honestly, it did all start whenever you finally got the courage to ask me out on our first date. it was at your uncle's trailer and you were so nervous about it all. i mean, you told me that you finally knew the brand names of cleaning supplies and you'd never seen your kitchen so spotless."

eddie laughed, looking down at his white shoes.

"oh yeah, trust me. i remember all of that."

"well," you continued, a smile on your face. "i remember that we ate a lot of snacks and we talked the entire night. it's like neither of us kept track of time. and we talked about the future of us and everything we aspired for and wanted from life."

there was a pause between this sentence and the next.

"and eddie," you continued on, looking down at the rings on his hand as you held onto it tightly. "you told me that you'd never leave me. that you were always right there."

you looked up at him, seeing his soft smile as you gave him one in return. the rv stopped moving as steve turned around to face all of the group, including the two of you.