EIGHTH DRINK

you were never the type of person to get drunk at events or parties of any kind, so when eddie answered the phone to hear nancy wheeler on the other side of the line to tell him that his girlfriend was wasted beyond repair, he was shocked, asking if it was a prank of some kind.

she retorted with 'why in the hell would this be a prank about _____ of all people?' or something along those lines and it caused eddie to jump in his van in a rushed hurry to meet you at the party that the three of them were at, including you. three being steve, nancy, robin and then you as the fourth.

upon arriving at the party, he could hear the music blaring from outside as he turned off his van and sat in his car for a moment, trying to comprehend this situation before seeing steve trying to argue with a drunken you as robin shook her head in disappointment, nancy joining her and trying to calm down steve all at once.

he hopped out of the van in a loud thump as his shoes hit the ground, beginning to walk over to you and your friends.

"steve, this is an unfair battle! she's drunk!" nancy said as steve sighed, crossing his arms.

"i'm just asking a simple question! why?"

robin shook her head before spotting eddie approaching them with concern in his eyes as they stared wildly at you.

your eyes met his as your frown curled into a smile, persuading you to laugh loudly as eddie came over to you and held you in his arms.

"so, can i ask what happened?" he said, feeling your hands on his arms as he held you up from falling to the floor. he could feel your eyes staring up at him the entire time as he looked between the friends.

"well, none of us really know," robin murmured as eddie looked at her in slight shock.

"none of you know? she's drunk, guys. she never gets drunk," eddie retorted as nancy nodded, stepping into the conversation.

"well, to be wrong on our part, we all separated for a little while to get drinks and hang out with other people," she explained. "we all assumed ______ wouldn't be drinking since she had never done so before, or at least not as much as this."

you were still holding onto him as eddie turned to look down at you, seeing your bright eyes curiously studying him. he felt shy under your drunken gaze.

"i hate to be this person," steve spoke up as everybody, except you, looked at him. "but i did see billy hargrove talking to her about twenty or so minutes into the party as we got separated."

"billy hargrove?" eddie repeated, the name burning his tongue as he spoke it into the cold night air of hawkins. steve nodded, not truly knowing or understanding why or how eddie hated him so much.

"yeah, i mean, he seemed a little too close," he replied. "especially if, say, i was dating her. i wouldn't of liked the way that i saw him with her. by then, she was already beyond her first three drinks."

"shit," eddie muttered as he looked back into your eyes to see if there was anything new. your eyes had stayed the same, the same bright stars shimmering in your eyes as you stared back at him. "i'm going to get her home, and then i'm figuring out what happened."

steve, robin, and nancy all nodded, watching as eddie gently led you over to the car where he helped you in before starting it and driving crazily off.

robin turned to face steve.

"you saw her with billy?" she questioned as steve nodded, looking at her with inquiry.

"yeah," he said, hesitantly. "why?"

"you know what he did to her last year?" nancy asked. "it was before she was with eddie, but he still knows."