WHEN

"this is why it's so hard to date you! because you don't let me do anything of my own free will, gareth!" you heard a girl yell as you looked over from where you were sitting on the table outside of the school. you watched their argument take place, getting so zoned into it that you didn't even realize that somebody was putting their hand on your shoulder. 

you jumped, looking over to see who it was.

"shit, eddie, you scared me," you said, turning to see the argument. eddie took a seat next to  you, confused to what you were looking at. "she and gareth are fighting again," you mumbled. 

eddie nodded, looking over at the two as you turned to look at him. 

"they'll probably break up, my guess," he said as you nodded in agreement, looking over at them once more as she shook her head at him before he walked over to where the two of you were sitting and he took a seat next to you. 

"i'm done for, i won't ever be able to keep a girlfriend," gareth said in defeat, letting out a heavy sigh as he looked over at the two of you. "what about you two?" 

"what about us?" eddie laughed in confusion.

"when will you two date?" 

you laughed a little. 

"gareth, we're just friends," you responded as eddie nodded in agreement. gareth shook his head, his hair sweeping across his forehead both times. you cocked your head in confusion as to why he was bringing this topic up when you thought it was done. 

"no way you two don't like each other even just a little bit," gareth said, raising an eyebrow at the two of you in confusion and slight persuasion to tell him what was really going on. 

"why would you assume that we do?" you asked him, shutting your book as you became fully attentive into the conversation now. 

"well, for starters, you and him are always hanging out," he said as you nodded. eddie laughed.

"if that was called dating, wouldn't you think that you and abby would be together?" he said back, raising his eyebrow. 

"we hung out twice, you two hang out twice every single day," he said somewhat snarky, laughing. you rolled your eyes with a smile as eddie took notice before speaking up. 

"continue on with your points of persuasion, gareth the great."

"okay, well, you two always mention something about the other."

"like what?" you asked, looking down towards your shoes as you brushed them together briefly. 

"_______, you seem to know more about him than anybody else," he said, looking at you as you met his eyes, raising an eyebrow in response to conceal anything he might perceive incorrectly. 

"so?"

"i mean, eddie doesn't shut up about you during hellfire," he laughed as eddie laughed uncomfortably. 

"is that so?" you asked, turning to face him as he smiled back at you sweetly, looking back over at gareth with a look of slight panic. 

"i mean, you're my best friend, ________. it makes sense i wouldn't shut up about you," he said, smiling at you as you looked at him suspiciously. you were trying to see if you could spot anything hidden behind his eyes. gareth was right- you knew him better than anybody else so you should be able to see if he's hiding anything. 

"can you two seriously just date already?" dustin groaned out as he approached the conversation going on as gareth got off the table and laughed, joining him in agreement. 

"that's what i've been trying to tell them!" he exclaimed as you laughed while eddie stood up, grabbing your hand to help you off the table as you held onto his hand still after getting down. 

"holy shit," mike said, noticing you two were still holding hands. "holy shit, are you guys actually?"

dustin looked down as well to see your hands still together. 

when the three of them looked at you both, you nodded with a slight smile as eddie took reign of telling them for the both of you.

"about a month ago, we got to talking about our friendship and such," he said as you nodded. "and we both just started talking about our feelings, i know, super soft of me, but we chatted about it for a while. it went on for, like, four hours that we talked about everything and we decided to test out what it would be like to start dating and no we've been together for a month."

gareth laughed, hitting mike on the back as he replied. 

"finally! jesus, it was so painful listening to you two talking all the goddamn time and not dating like goodness," he said. mike laughed as dustin spoke up after him. 

"you two always acted like you were together," dustin said. "i mean, you would talk about his trailer sometimes, _______."

"friends talk about their friend's homes," you shot back as eddie's thumb gently rubbed the top of your hand. 

"it wasn't just that, it was how you would talk about it constantly whenever you went over. i mean, hell, you were over there like every single night," he laughed as you nodded. 

"can we go back to trying to help gareth with his problems now?" you asked the group in front of you as they all laughed. dustin shook his head. 

"did you lose another girlfriend?" he asked. 

gareth nodded, not wanting to look at the group of friends as you gave him a smile before you and eddie snuck off to his van to get back to his trailer. 
-

"did you want to tell them the way we did?" you asked him when you walked inside his trailer. he shut the door behind you two, walking over to the small kitchen as he began to clean up the trash strewn about in the place.

"i mean, i never was really sure of how to tell them. i just knew that they all wanted us to date, and i guess i'm just glad that it was finally pressed out of us because i can't hide my love for you," he said, tossing the trash in the can as you blushed heavily. 

"you love me? we've only been dating for a month, eddie," you said back sweetly, walking over to him as he stopped cleaning. 

"but i've been your best friend for years, _______. i love you," he said, pressing a kiss to your forehead as you smiled, closing your eyes before responding. 

"i love you," you said back sweetly. you were both still trying to figure out the whole dating situation between the two of you since you had been friends longer than lovers and never wanted to admit your feelings until recently. 

"sorry about the mess," he muttered as you laughed. 

"i come over here all the time in a mess and you think i care?" you asked. 

he shrugged, walking back to his room as you followed him back there. 

"one day you might start."

"as long as you're always in the room, you're all i'm focused on," you told him truthfully. "not the mess."

he smiled back at you, pressing a kiss to your lips briefly before resting his forehead on yours as you closed your eyes and enjoyed the sweet moment of bliss.