NOT MY SCENE

you didn't normally go to parties, the scene being too wild for you. you preferred calling steve and then being shut down by robin to stop calling him. you knew it wasn't healthy to be so hung up on him, but he did something to you that you couldn't just let go- especially not with last summer having happened. 

"_______, come on, you'll meet so many guys if you go!" robin said, wiggling her eyebrows up and down towards you, sitting next to you on your bed. you sighed, looking back down towards the dirty white tennis shoes you were wearing before sighing reluctantly. 

"okay, fine," you muttered, hearing robin stand on your bed as you rushed over to keep her from falling. you knew how big of a klutz she was. your mind was racing with different scenarios for tonight. you were nervous and scared to admit it.
-

"you're kidding me, robin," you groaned to yourself, watching her rush off towards where vicki was deep into the crowd. you stood in the kitchen, slightly unsure of what to do with yourself when you saw steve walking towards your direction. 

your heart began racing as he got closer, looking up from the floor to get some punch from the bowl as your eyes met his nervously. 

"________?" 

your body stood awkwardly, unsure of what to do with yourself. he broke up with you for nancy wheeler, you had to constantly remind yourself of this. it hurt, but it was the facts to keep you from falling back into the stupid trap that steve had you in for three years. 

"hi," you said, trying to force a smile but a mere sigh instead was produced. 

"what are you doing here? i thought you hated parties?" he questioned, dipping his cup into the punch bowl as you shrugged, looking off to see robin and vicki talking together. yep, you were stuck on your own for this one. your eyes shifted back to his, patiently waiting for you to respond. 

"um, well, it is halloween," you responded. "why not do something, interesting."

"you hate it," he laughed slightly, taking another sip of the drink. you nodded, nervously picking the end of your jacket, still staring up at him as if he held your world in his hands. "well, i'm happy you're here."

are you really? you thought to yourself, wondering if it meant anything. you were starting to read too in depth into every little word he spoke from the lips you had so desperately wanted your freshman year. you had only dated him for a year, you had to remind yourself of this fact as well to keep your mind out of cloud nine. a dangerous place. 

"yeah, me too," you lied, forcing a smile.

"so, did you come here with anybody?" he asked.

odd question coming from you, you thought to yourself. 

"um," you began, feeling embarrassed as if it was something to be embarrassed about. why should you feel this shame? it wasn't your fault, you didn't do anything wrong. you felt an arm wrap around your shoulder as you jumped slightly, looking to see who it was.

"eddie munson?" steve said, sounding like it was a question. you blushed heavily to yourself, your eyes looking back up at steve from the brief break you allowed yourself. you missed this feeling of having somebody. 

"that's my name, don't wear it out, harrington," he joked, smiling over at him. steve looked down at you, trying to read your emotions about the situation, but you refused to let him back into his old ways of untying the strings of hidden information on you. "where's wheeler?" eddie asked, his arm still around your shoulders as you stared down towards your shoes once more, noticing that eddie's shoe was touching yours ever so slightly, causing you to turn your head to look up at him. 

"out there somewhere getting into the music," steve replied, giving the two of you a smile. "are you two going out or something?" 

"or something," eddie responded as you coughed slightly, trying to cover it up once more. steve looked back up at eddie, giving him a questioning look. 

"hurt her, and i will hurt you," he said firmly.

"remind me again if i'm remembering incorrectly, but didn't you break up with her to date wheeler?" eddie questioned as you felt your heart pounding loudly in your chest. something was happening to you, maybe it was the fact that somebody was standing up for you for once that wasn't you. maybe it was the atmosphere, or maybe it was eddie. 

you turned the final consideration repeatedly over in your mind.

steve scoffed slightly.

"you two have fun. see you around, ________," steve said before walking away and back to wherever nancy was dancing. eddie took his arm from off around your shoulder, walking to the counter and grabbing a beer. 

"thank you," you told him shyly. 

"anytime, ________," he replied, taking a swig of the beer before looking back at you. 

his eyes were kind, they were something you could fall into so easily. you could feel yourself slipping back into the phase- the trance of emotional waves. you didn't want to hurt yourself again, but he was making it hard to look away. 

"aren't parties not your scene?" you asked him, tucking your arms into themselves against your chest as eddie smiled, looking briefly down at the beer in his hand before meeting your consistent gaze once more. 

"you're stalking me, ______?" 

you laughed, shaking your head.

"no, not at all, munson. i just, i thought you tended to stay in your bubble of friends?" 

he shrugged, taking a sip of his drink.

"i try to, but dustin told me to come to this party tonight for whatever reason," he mumbled. 

was it to find me? you considered to yourself, zoning out of the conversation momentarily.

"you okay?" he asked, smiling over at you as you zoned back into the current conversation. you nodded, looking towards the rest of the party before meeting his gaze once more.

"can we leave and go talk some place?" you asked as he nodded, grabbing your hand in his as he pulled you through the crowd and out the front door. you felt your heart pounding as he held your hand in his. it felt comforting, and you felt at ease. 

the fresh air felt odd on your bare skin, but you embraced it. eddie let go of your hand when he thought that you two were far enough from the commotion of three dozen teenagers inside the home.

 "why did you help me back there with steve?" you asked as eddie sighed, looking at you before focusing on the tree next to the two of you. 

"i, uh, i'm not sure," he replied. 

you raised your eyebrows, warranting a response from him.

"alright, alright," he caved. "honestly, i think you're one of the coolest people i know, and i was just wondering if you maybe wanted to hang out sometime?" he questioned, hesitantly looking back over at you. 

you mulled over the thought in your mind, trying to find the negative ways it could end before stopping yourself. if you kept doing this with everybody you were interested in, you would never find the person you were looking for. despite slight hesitations, you nodded.

"it would be an honor, munson," you joked as he shook his head with a smile, laughing with you as the two of you continued to talk about life and hellfire throughout the night.

maybe robin was right, for once.