ARGUMENTATIVE PUSH (II)

one o'clock. two o'clock. three o'clock.

all early morning hours that you awoke during to find yourself crying from a dream you must have had. you had to remember your current circumstances. you must or else you would fall into the trap of being sad all over again.

but you were. 

you were allowed to be sad about this- steve harrington was your entire heart for two and a half years. he really was. he meant everything to you. but when the arguments started getting worse at the end of the relationship, you couldn't continue to pretend that it wasn't something to be worried about. you had to focus on yourself and other people now.

sitting up in eddie's small bed, you ran your hands through your hair as you listened to the sound of the wind outside the small window. your mind kept thinking about steve and what he could be doing right now. you couldn't help yourself, it's as if your mind automatically went to whatever he was doing. 

you were still stuck on him and it wasn't healthy. 

but it had only been a few hours since you had ended things- shouldn't that be considered normal?

you began to wonder if he was with nancy right now- if he was sitting in her home or her bedroom. if he was talking to her or trying to do more with her. if he was on her bed or on the floor of her bedroom. 

too many questions in a short amount of time was causing you a headache, which in turn caused you to stand up to go find some pain medications in eddie's small trailer park home. you opened the door, walking down the short hallway towards the little cabinet area where he kept many little baskets of random things in their home. 

you opened the drawer closest to his bedroom, digging through it quietly as your hand found a bottle that felt like pills. you pulled it out, taking notice of the medication name before sighing, walking towards the kitchen, after shutting the drawer, to find some water. 

you took two of the pills, looking over at eddie who was sleeping so peacefully on the couch. you set the water cup down, staring at him as you wondered what he was dreaming about. it must be nice to be able to sleep so comfortably without worry. 

"must be nice," you muttered, giving him a small smile before drinking the rest of the water in the cup before putting the pills back in the drawer and heading back to eddie's bedroom to try and sleep.
-

the phone ringing right outside eddie's bedroom woke you up from the light sleep you were in. you sat up, hearing eddie answer the phone before swearing and opening the door, making eye contact with you as you sighed, tilting your head down slightly. 

"don't tell me it's-" you started as eddie nodded, holding the phone out to you as you sighed, standing up and walking over to him as you took the phone from him. eddie gave you a brief smile before grabbing a pack of cigarettes that was sitting at the cabinet area and heading outside. 

your eyes stopped following him when the door closed and you sighed, putting the phone up to your ear.

"hello?" you asked softly.

"you're still there? you stayed the night?" 

you looked up towards the ceiling before responding, trying to calm yourself down. 

"i did, i slept very little, but i did," you muttered, realizing how it sounded as you tried to immediately fix it. "i mean, you kept me up all night with the thoughts of what you could possibly be doing."

steve sighed. 

"i wasn't with nancy, if that's what you were wondering," he responded. "i stayed at the wheeler's, but i was with dustin, lucas, and mike in the basement. i couldn't sleep either." 

you bit the inside of your cheek, now looking down towards the floor. 

"i still can't forgive you, steve," you told him. "i can't be in a relationship when you're going to get pissy at me for being friends with other guys, especially because you're acting the exact same right now and we aren't even together." 

"look, it's just," he started as you waited for some sort of explanation. "i'm sorry. i'm scared to lose you, and i did. so, my worst fear came true and now i just don't know what to do. i'm sorry that i'm acting like a dick about you being friends with these guys, but it's just that i know when a guy likes a girl. it's how eddie acts around you, it's not just because you two have been best friends for so long."

"how do you even know if you don't hang out with him? how would you know?" you retorted. 

"i have eyes, ________. i see it when you two hang out together, especially when dustin talks about how much fun the two of you have together," he responded with as you laughed slightly. "i mean, tell me the truth."

"what are you talking about?" you asked. 

"do you like him, ________?" 

there was silence from you as you knew steve was catching onto the hook of a hint that you hadn't thrown out. 

"he's my best friend, steve. i could ask the same for you and nancy. her being in a relationship doesn't stop someone from liking her, so i need to trust you on this answer," you replied as he laughed slightly. 

"can we just meet up at my work later so we can talk?" he asked as you bit your lip slightly, considering it. "please?"

"okay," you said, steve beginning to talk but you cut him off once more. "but you cannot talk about eddie. you can't, he's my best friend."

steve sighed, causing you to raise your eyebrows before he finally responded.

"i'm not making any promises," he muttered. "that's me being truthful."

you sighed, hanging up the phone as you heard the door open as eddie walked back inside to find you standing there staring towards the door. 

"what did he want to talk about?" eddie asked, setting the pack of cigarettes back on the little cabinet area. you looked at him before looking off to the side. 

"we're meeting at his work later to talk," you responded. "and i think i need to do this. i need to see if i made a mistake or not, and if i find out that i didn't, it will help me sleep better at night." 

eddie nodded, looking off to the side as well before responding.

"if it helps you, then that's all that matters," he replied, walking past you and into his bedroom as you watched him go, seeing the door shut as you furrowed your eyebrows in confusion.

was steve seeing what you were refusing to?