STEVE'S SECRETS

"steve, look, i really don't want to talk about this right now," you said, walking over to the door of the family video store where he and robin worked together, much like scoops ahoy but much better. steve followed you over there, ignoring the customers as he stopped you.

"______, come on, i mean," he began to say as you turned around to look at him, your hand on the door as your eyes searched his. "after everything that happened last year, i just think i would best understand what you're going through."

you shook your head, looking down towards your white sneakers.

"i understand that you're trying to be considerate, steve, but it's already hard to come to terms with," you muttered. "maybe that's why i got a new boyfriend. to start over, to make myself push away all the bad things that happened last year."

"but, are you happy?" he asked gently, leaning against the wall of the store as you shifted uncomfortably in your comfortable, worn in shoes. you didn't want to look at him, because you knew what he wanted of you and you wouldn't be able to give it to him.

"you already know the answer to that," you responded, finally meeting his eye contact as he nodded, looking over at robin who shook her head in response while a customer made their way to the counter and took her attention. "steve, i'm sorry."

he smiled back at you, letting out a deep sigh as you nodded.

"i really appreciate you, steve," you told him truthfully. "you helped me through so much that happened but if i were to even get together with somebody who understands too well what happened last year, it might just break me. and eddie is sweet, and caring, and he can learn about everything along the way, but i can't date somebody who knows too well."

"don't you think that dating somebody who understands could actually be helpful for you?"

you shook your head, looking out the window as you let out a sigh.

"i'll see you later, steve," you said before exiting the building and walking towards your car as you got in it and slid down in the seat a little. you took a moment to breathe before starting the car and heading off to school.
-

you could feel his eyes on you the entire time that you were sitting at the table that was a few over from the hellfire's table. you knew he was looking at you, you could feel the stare. you stood up, walking over to the trashcan as you threw some trash away before exiting the cafeteria, unable to think straight with all the loud noises going on.

the cafeteria doors were loud when they shut, and therefore; the sound of them opening caused you to turn around and see who was coming out of the cafeteria at the same time.

"eddie," you said, the relief being clear in your tone of voice as you smiled at him as he approached you. he smiled sweetly at you, getting close enough to wrap an arm around your shoulder as you two continued your walk through the hallway.

"you okay? you seem upset about something," he said, keeping you close to him in the empty hallways. you nodded, your hand clutching onto your backpack strap as you stared down at the tiled floor as your shoes padded softly on it.

"yeah, i'm fine, i'm fine, i, uh," you began, your nervous eyes staring at the different colors in the tiles. "i went to the video store this morning to talk to robin about something, and steve stopped me before i left."

eddie nodded, letting out a sigh as he let go of you and stepped in front of where you were going to walk. you looked up at him, your eyes observing his as you waited for his response.

"did he ask you about it again?" he said softly as you nodded, your nervous eyes meeting his.

"i don't understand why he won't just get why i don't want to date him," you replied, your eyes not leaving his unlike how you were with steve. "i mean, before we started dating."