Chapter 4 Ariel teaches Virginia spells part 1

Virginia kept on going without letting me get a word in. "I thought we were done with that. This isn't Pittsburgh Ariel." Virginia said. "Yeah, believe me, I know that." I said with my big city attitude. "And why are you doing this?" Virginia asked. "Because... I'm not one of those small town girls Virginia. I'm not one of those girls that you can easily become friends with. I'm a big city girl, okay? This is who I really am." I said as I picked up my spell books and put them back on my bookshelf. Virginia got up. "And I thought you would understand what I'm going through." Virginia said. I turned to face her. "I know exactly what you're going through. Stuff has been going out of my control in my life too. But I decided to just let that stuff happen. So, I could help you but now is not exactly a good time." I said. "Okay, well when you think you can help me, let me know." Virginia said as she walked out. The next day during indoor recess Virginia walked up to me with a small wooden carving of a dragon. "Hey Ariel." Virginia said. "Hey, what's up?" I asked. "I wanted to show you this." Virginia said as she showed me the small wooden carving of a dragon in her hand. "What is that?" I asked. "It's called a totem. My mom gave it to me." Virginia said. "You know what, I think I have one too but it's in my backpack." I said. "Can you show it to me?" Virginia asked. "Sure, just let me get it out of my backpack and I'll show it to you." I said as I walked over to my backpack. I unzipped the smallest part of my backpack and pulled out my wolf totem. I walked back over to Virginia. "This is mine. My stepmom gave it to me." I said. "Wow, it looks like it's made of the same material that mine is made of." Virginia said. "It is. I've always wondered what each one means." I said. "Well, you have a cell phone. Can't you look it up on that?" Virginia asked. "I could, but I only use it to contact my dad if I need him." I said. "I see." Virginia said. "How about you come over after school today and I can help you out with whatever it is that you are going through." I said. "Okay." Virginia said. Later that day Virginia came over to my house and I took the two spell books out once again. "Okay Virginia. Today is the day. I'm going to be teaching you the good spells." I said. "Okay, let's get started." Virginia said. "Not so fast. There's something I need to tell you, about how I want to go about this. I want you to act out different scenarios for each one. But I just don't know how your body is going to react to them." I said. "I thought you said that you did these spells before." Virginia said. "Yes, and everyone that I have spelled before turned out to be okay and never spoke of them again. Let's just say that they might not be as safe as you might think. There could be negative outcomes from the spells so if you need me to stop at any time just raise your left hand, okay?" I asked. "Okay." Virginia said. "Alright, the first one is ladybugs. This one might be the most harmless one." I said. "Why is that?" Virginia asked. "Because, it might take a while for a ladybug to show up. But it will make one come to you during a time when you need luck or protection. And your wishes might actually become actualized, your worries will disperse, and it might actually shield you from any aggravations you might have." I said. "There's a lot of aggravations in my life right now." Virginia said. "Which is why you need to learn this spell. Who knows, a ladybug might just fly up to us." I said. I wanted to be outside for this one, just in case a ladybug does fly up to us. "Before I do this spell, I just want you to know that you should not blink while doing the spell. If you blink while doing the spell it will fail." I said. "Alright. Can you do it now?" Virginia asked. "Yes." I said before doing the spell. "Ladybugs showing up in one's life foretell a time of luck and protection, when wishes started to become actualized. Worries will disperse when a ladybug appears, as they shield us from our aggravations." I said without blinking. A ladybug flew over to us and landed on my left pointer finger. Then Virginia did the spell and the same thing happened to her. "Wow, you're a fast learner." I said. "That's just how I learn." Virginia said. "Okay, the next spell is a luck spell. You should only use it when you need luck." I said. "I definitely need some luck. Some of my grades are not that good." Virginia said. "Here's how it goes." I said before doing the luck spell. "Fortune, fame, and power lies in the mystery of the skies. The stars, the moon, burning bright, light up the longest, darkest night. Stand beneath this blackened dome no more than ten paces from your home. Then hold your palms up towards the east and repeat these words after a harvest feast: bring me luck. The ease of living. Opportunity and prosperity." I said. Then Virginia tried it. "Nothing seemed to happen." Virginia said. "The only way to see that something did happen is if your grades improve. It might take a while but you can do some other things to see if something actually happened when you did the spell." I said. "Okay, what's the next one?" Virginia asked. "The next one is a friendship spell. This one is used if you see someone you want to be friends with and they give you a hard time when you try to be their friend." I said. "I don't have a lot of friends, just a few close ones." Virginia said. "Really?" I asked. "Yeah." Virginia said. "Alright, is there anyone that you are trying to be friends with?" I asked. "So far it's just Kaitlyn, Bri, and John that I'm trying to become friends with but they're all giving me a hard time about it." Virginia said. "Okay, here's the spell." I said before doing the spell. "A bond of friendship is born the moment you look into my eyes. Time turns on it's head and I'm given the power to make a foe a friend, the exhilarating spirit of the ages rising around me." I said. "I'll only do it the next time I see them." Virginia said. "Well, let me copy this one for you and have it on you whenever you want to make a new friend but they give you a hard time, okay?" I asked. "Okay." Virginia said. I copied the spell on a piece of paper and gave it to her. "Has anyone been trying to deceive you?" I asked. "I don't know. Why do you ask?" Virginia asked. "Because, the next spell that I'm going to teach you is a spell that is used to detect deception. Let me warn you, this one is kind of long." I said. "Okay." Virginia said. Then I did this spell. "A liar's words are deceptive by nature, but to be deceived you must first believe. To prevent deception, study the speaker's expression- the corners of his mouth, whether the nostrils are flared, where his gaze lies. Then incant beneath his breath: words of wonder and question. Do you deceive the one you speak to? Can the ear which hears trust your words? Is there an errant will in your heart? If the speaker speaks of false notions, the whites of the eyes will turn pink, the nostrils will flare, the corners of the mouth will turn up, a dragon's expression, if only for a moment. You will see." I said. I looked over at Virginia but none of those things happened. That's when I knew that she was not deceiving me. I looked at Virginia but nothing happened.