Uncover

In the dimly lit confines of Agur's office, the air hung heavy with the acrid scent of drugs. Agur, a man of dubious reputation, was lost in a haze of ecstasy, his senses dulled by the chemical embrace. But reality intruded in the form of a sharp knock on his door.

"Enter!" Agur's voice crackled with irritation. Whoever dared disturb him would pay the price.

Shar, a wiry figure with a perpetual smirk, sauntered in. His presence grated on Agur's nerves.

"Why are you here?" Agur's tone was icy. "You were supposed to keep an eye on that wretched governor."

Shar's smirk widened. "Perhaps this news will jolt you out of your drug-induced stupor." He reveled in taunting his boss.

Before Agur could react, a dagger whizzed through the air, aimed at Shar. But the nimble assassin sidestepped effortlessly, mocking Agur with a whistle.

"SPEAK, you son of a—"

"Tsk," Shar interrupted. "The Empire's dogs have infiltrated our ship. They've subdued the governor, either through disguise or brute force."

Agur's composure shattered. "WHAT?!"

"Your greatest foes are aboard," Shar continued. "They move swiftly."

Agur's anger flared. "And what do you propose? Should we capture them now?"

Shar's eyes gleamed. "I volunteer for the task!"

"No," Agur snapped. "We won't tip our hand so soon. Gather the others discreetly."

Shar muttered, "Or I could take them hostage."

Agur fixed him with a steely gaze. "Dream big, but curb your blood lust. Those Empire dogs are no ordinary foes. Underestimate them, and you'll pay dearly."

"Don't forget how many of my people died to save your pitiful life!" Shar's words dripped venom. "Your previous master had Empire ties. Those people are a persistent thorn."

"Heh!" Shar's irritation flared when Agur emphasized his role in Shar's survival. He turned to leave the room.

"That brat thinks I'd risk my men to save him just because his skills serve me well?" Agur muttered. "If that day comes, he's expendable."

"Those imperial dogs..." Agur clenched his fists. "They think they can arrest me? Not until I draw my last breath."

Agur, upon receiving the report, realized the Empire's soldiers were aware of his dealings with the Daria governor. He cursed and sighed in relief—he'd assigned his best assassin to monitor the bumbling Governor. Without that foresight, the Empire's hounds would have caught him off guard. Agur grew more cautious, plotting his next move.

Meanwhile, the two generals, still disguised, pressed on with their mission. They concealed the unconscious governor and unearthed valuable evidence from the ship. As they searched the governor's quarters, they stumbled upon another hidden compartment—distinct from Hua Hen's discovery. Documents revealed Agur's entanglement with the governor. Their once-reliable ally had secrets, a double game to play when the palace's scrutiny intensified.

The corruption ran deeper than they'd imagined, ensnaring high-ranking figures in the capital and Daria alike. Hua Heng and Wen Ping exchanged glances. They understood the stakes. Confronting the Chameleons (Agur's syndicate) directly was premature. Instead, they'd gather more evidence, build an ironclad case against Balto Hakkins and his clan, and ensnare the notorious syndicate—the Chameleons.

Hua Heng and Wen Ping continued to search the ship and gather evidence of Balto Hakkins and Agur's illicit activities. They document everything they find, from secret correspondence, from the captured civilians to hidden treasures found within Hakkin's office, basement, and private room.