Lie To Me-Chapter 4

"Well, it worked out anyway, cause as you can see, she's back on the road!!"

The look on his face told me he wasn't buying it... "So, if everything worked out so well, why didn't you tell me? Why'd I have to hear about it from my sister?"

There were a lot of reasons why I hadn't shared my not-so-fun Bertha story... One was to avoid having the exact conversation I was having. Besides, he was busy! Looking at houses, spending time with friends... I didn't want to ruin his time by making him worry... If there was one thing I refused to be to Harry, it was a burden. He'd always done so much for me, always been so supportive... I just didn't want him, or anyone else for that matter, to think that I was nothing but a moocher, taking advantage of his need to help others. And then of course there was that OTHER reason...

"Well... I... I met somebody..."

I couldn't tell if he was groaning or laughing before he spoke. "On the side of the road..."

"Well, yes. I mean... No. Well, okay... We actually met on the side of the road, when he came to tow Bertha back to his shop, but we didn't start dating until after he fixed her."

I held my breath. This was NOT the way I wanted to tell him about Jeremy... Harry was notorious when it came to being protective... He'd pretty much run off every new man that walked into my life, and watched over me like a hawk when we went out together. He'd even lectured Niall and I once, when we'd gotten a little too flirty after one of their concerts...

Chancing it, I looked at him. Oh crap... With raised brows he stared at me. "Well, looks like I missed a lot more than you led me to think... So... Tell me about him. What's wrong with him?"

Here we go...

"Why does something have to be wrong with him? He's a nice guy, he picks up the tab, opens doors, and all that. He's a mechanic, obviously, and he takes good care of Bertha. I really like this guy, Harry."

He ran a hand over his face before shoving it into his hair, nearly dislodging the silly make-shift headband he was using to keep it back.

"You need a haircut, by the way."

Laughter spilled from his mouth as he shook his head. "Nice try, but you're not changing the subject that easily... Does he know about me? What does he think about us living together?"

I cringed at his persistence, ready to drive into a ditch just to avoid the next part of this conversation. How could I explain myself without sounding really bad?!?

"Actually... No, he doesn't..."