Lie To Me-Chapter 29

It may have only been seconds, but it felt like hours before Harry let go of my hands, bringing his up to my face, his thumb gently stroking the skin just under my bottom lip before cupping my cheek.

He was going to kiss me. He knew it, and I knew it... But, although my subconscious was screaming profanities, yelling for me to stop, I didn't want to... I wanted him to kiss me... To make me feel beautiful and desired... To give me hope that I wouldn't be alone... To show me that I was loved, in every way imaginable... It was stupid, selfish even. But, I didn't want to think about the repercussions of what was about to happen. I didn't want to take the time to consider what this could do to our friendship, how this single moment could affect our relationship... I just wanted Harry... Right now...

He leaned forward and I froze, holding my breath, fearful that one wrong move, one single blink would cause me to wake from this dream...

And then his lips were on mine, brushing softly, his warm breath a whisper against my mouth. My body came to life. My skin tingled, my heart beat again, and a sense of warmth filled me from head to toe. I'd never felt anything so...right before in my life. I'd never felt more complete... Tilting his head, he deepened the kiss, his tongue tracing the contours of my lips, gently pressing his way between them. Without even registering my own movements, my hands found their way into his hair, tangling in the silken strands, holding him to me as I gave him the access he'd so softly requested. His tongue found mine, and I gasped as he groaned into my mouth. His taste, the sweetest sin ever created...

And as quickly as it had begun, I felt the end approaching as Harry shifted, bringing space between us, his tongue leaving the recesses of my mouth, pulling away.

For a moment, we just sat there, eyes closed, our foreheads pressed together as we collected ourselves. My brain raced with thoughts going every direction possible. I needed to say something. We needed to talk about this. To figure out what it all meant. But before I could form the words, he pulled away, my hands falling from him as I watched his eyes widen, the registration of what we'd just done crossing his face in a look of pure fear.

"Oh my God... Riley... Riley, I'm sorry..."

I looked at him. "What? No... Harry..."

In a flash, he stood, backing away slowly as if I was a wild animal ready to strike, leaving me to sit there alone, my lips tinted and swollen, my breathing ragged.

"I... I can't believe... I'm so sorry, Riley..."

Ignoring me as I called his name, he nearly sprinted from the room, making some comment about needing to go to bed, and how we can clean up everything tomorrow.

And then he was gone...

My subconscious stood off in the corner, her arms crossed, shaking her head at me. I'd just kissed my best friend... Or, he'd just kissed me... And then he'd run away like I had the plague...

(Harry's POV)

What had I done...

This wasn't just some random kiss with some random girl... I'd just kissed Riley!!! My best friend, my roommate, and I'd just kissed her!!! What the hell had I done?!?

I couldn't have stopped myself if the building was on fire... She was there, in front of me, soft and helpless, and when she'd whispered my name, I lost it. All thoughts fled. I needed to kiss her in that moment, needed to feel her. And, my God, what a kiss that was... I could still taste her on my lips. Like chocolate cake and strawberries, sweet and sinful... I could still feel her fingers in my hair, clinging to me as I took her mouth...

It was gentle, and hot, and absolutely perfect... And yet, when it hit me what I'd just done, all the consequences slapping me in the face at once, I'd run from her...

Oh, God... What had I done...

Hello, my lovely readers!! I apologize that this is a little short, but it's been a little crazy, and I'm in the middle of trying to pack for a trip, while working, and writing, so I will admittedly say that my mind has been elsewhere... But, I hope this chapter at least gave you all a little "taste" of the dynamic between Harry and Riley!! Whoo!! Is anyone else a little warm?? 😉 Also, and I recognize some of you from Instagram (Hello, Ladies!!!), I wanted to encourage you to comment your thoughts!! I love talking to my readers, hearing your thoughts, predictions, etc. So, please!! Feel free to leave me a comment!!! And don't forget to vote!!! I love you all, and I hope you're having a great week!!!