Lie To Me-Chapter 94

(Harry's POV)

Riley's eyes widened even more after I confirmed that Max was hers, and it took all the strength I had to not run over to her and kiss her senseless. But, I had to wait. I had to let her reaction give me the green light.

Deciding on getting Riley a dog had been a difficult one, and it really hadn't come to me until everything started between us. I'd wanted to show her that I was in this for the long haul, that she was special, that this wasn't just some fling we had going on. I wanted to show her that I loved her. Today, tomorrow, next week... Even looking years down the road, the one person I pictured by my side, was Riley.

Finally, after what felt like years of silence, she spoke.

"How...? How did you...?"

I bit my lip at the adorable woman in front of me. I could see her brain working everything out, the thousands of questions that were flooding her mind.

"Well, his mother was a 'puppy mill' dog, rescued while she was very pregnant. And with help from Zach, being an animal lover himself, I was able to get in touch with the family that took her in. It took some major convincing, and a donation to the ASPCA for them to let me, but, they allowed me to adopt him in your name. He wasn't technically supposed to arrive until tomorrow, but something got screwed up along the way, and, well...here he is!"

She turned back to Max, shaking her head, and for a moment I paused. She was being quiet...too quiet... And I began to wonder if I'd made a mistake, if I'd chosen wrong.

It couldn't be the adopted part that she had an issue with. Riley was an avid animal lover, and was very much against animal cruelty, and selling pets for a profit. She believed in adoption, in taking care of the poor animals that had lost their homes, been mistreated, been neglected...

So, why wasn't she saying anything?

I watched as she scooped Max up into her arms, cuddling his little body against her as he squirmed, desperate to lick her face.

With a soft giggle, she pressed a kiss to the top of his head, and placed him back in the pen, patting his head as he protested.

I held my breath when she righted herself, knowing that whatever her reaction was, I was about to get it...

Attempting a preemptive strike, I stepped toward her. "Riley, I'm sorry. I know this is unexpected, but..."

On a broken sob, she launched herself at me, wrapping her arms around my waist, pressing her head to my chest, holding onto me so tight as her body shook...

"I love you, Harry! I love you so much! He's perfect! Everything about him is perfect! YOU are perfect! Nothing in the world could make me happier than I am right now..." Her head lifted, tear streaks still damp on her cheeks, her voice still shaky with emotion. "Thank you. Thank you! I don't know what I ever did to deserve you, but I thank God for it. You are the best man I've ever known, and you've made me the happiest woman in the world! I couldn't have asked for a better birthday, or a better person to share it with..."

Wearing a shaky smile, she leaned up to kiss me, pressing her lips to mine with a love that washed over me like a warm blanket. In all my life if never felt so appreciated, so loved...

My hands tightened from where they rested on her hips, and I deepened the kiss, seeking more. More sweet words, more love, more Riley...

Moving out from under my arms, her hands made their way up my chest and over my shoulders, her body pressing closer to mine.

When I felt the gentle tug of her fingers tangling in my hair, I knew... What had started out as a sweet, thankful, loving kiss was quickly morphing into the heated, passionate need that seemed to always hover between us.

My body electrified with anticipation. Finally... I would finally have Riley right where I'd wanted her since the moment we'd arrived... In my home, naked and writhing beneath me, my name a whisper on her lips...

No distractions. No interruptions. Just the two of us.

Sliding my hands up her back, I tucked them beneath her shirt, desperate to feel her skin under my fingertips. Her moaned response at my touch was cut off by a high pitched yelp coming from the floor behind us.

Ahh, little Max... I smiled against Riley's lips. He'd have to get used to being a witness to some pretty heavy PDA between us, if not more. Because, this was exactly what I'd been waiting for, and God knew there was no way I was stopping where we were headed.

But, Riley didn't seem to have the same idea. She quickly pushed away from me, nearly jumping back two feet, covering her mouth as though she'd just said something horrible.

"Harry, wait... We have to stop."

With my sex-fogged brain, and my body focused solely on getting her naked, it took a moment to register what she'd said, to hear the panic in her voice.

I slowly replayed her words in my head.

"We have to... What?!?"