Lie To Me-Chapter 81

I stayed there, in the middle of Harry's bed, counting the seconds as I waited for him. My body hummed with anticipation. After last night, and the unbelievable things he'd done to me...I was beyond ready for more.

A few minutes passed, and I began to get antsy, my mind reeling with possibilities... Maybe it was one of the boys? No, they would never be up this early. Maybe it was my mother? No... She would have called first... Maybe it was Anne? Oh my God... What if something happened?!?

Convinced that our persistent interruption was a life or death situation, I reached for the button down shirt Harry had worn last night, throwing it on as quickly as I could. Realizing that I was also in need of underwear, I went for his dresser. Surely Harry wouldn't mind me throwing on a pair of his boxers during an emergency situation. Right?

With a final look at his full-length mirror, I ran out of the room. Okay, so I pretty much looked like hell, with my hair all over the place, Harry's wrinkled shirt and boxers making an odd clothing combination, and my make-up half rubbed off, but I didn't care. If someone was hurt, I'd head to the damn hospital like this if I had to!

But, as I started down the stairs, laughter stopped me in my tracks, nearly causing me to miss a step.

Bree?!? What was SHE doing here?!? And how did she even know where to go?!? Aside from a Christmas card I sent to her last year, I didn't even think she knew my address!

Reaching the bottom of the stairs, I turned the corner. "Bree? What's wrong? What happened?!?"

Before she could turn to look at me, my eyes darted to Harry's. In mid sentence, a polite smile on his face, he stopped. With wide eyes, he looked me over, his jaw falling open. I watched, frozen in place as he took a shuddered breath, his eyes making another move to trail up and down my body, a gesture I could feel like a lick up my spine...

That was at least...until the clearing of a female voice caught my attention.

"Wait, what?" I turned back to Bree, the knowing look she gave me bringing color to my cheeks.

"I said, I came here to apologize for ruining your night...though it seems I may not have ruined it after all..."

"I... Um... Well..."

I struggled to find something to say. Based on my choice of attire this morning, it would be clear to a blind man that something had surely happened between Harry and I after we'd come home last night. But, I didn't want to give her any more ammunition to use in her argument that Harry was just trying to get in my pants... In fact, if I was inclined to, I could easily point out that I was the one in HIS pants right now.

Thinking about it, the irony of the situation struck me as funny, and I couldn't stop myself from laughing my way to the table. The two of them giving me strange looks as they waited for my fit of giggles to subside.

"I brought donuts..."

Reaching for a pale pink box, Bree slid it my way, opening the lid to an array of delicious breakfast treats. With a "Thank you," I took one nearly covered in chocolate, and reached for a napkin from the center console.

Taking a bite, the fluffy texture and chocolate sending my mouth into euphoria, I gently placed the donut on my napkin. "So... You wanted to apologize?"

Bree took a deep breath, and cleared her throat.

"I'm sorry for the way I behaved last night. I have no excuse for my behavior, other than being jealous..." She turned to face me. "I was jealous of you, Riley, for having all of these amazing people in your life that love you so much. And...I was jealous of them for being so loved by you in return. Growing up, it was always you and me, best friends for life. But now... Now it's different. You have other friends, other...family. People you turn to and spend time with." Her eyes turned sheepish as she met Harry's gaze. "People who know you better than I do..."