Lie To Me-Chapter 30

Harry was gone when I woke up the next morning, and from the lack of his one pair of sneakers by the door, I assumed he'd gone for a run. By the time I was getting ready to walk out the door, he still hadn't returned. That was odd... His runs usually didn't last much more than an hour... Even Millie had noticed his absence, coming out of the kitchen to actually greet me, and of course demand breakfast.

"Oh, look who decided to make an appearance!"

She tilted her head in the air, blatantly snubbing me for not moving fast enough... Little witch... With a groan, I followed her into the kitchen, dropping my things on the table. I was just starting to scoop food into her bowl when I heard the door open, footsteps echoing closer.

He was home...

"You don't have to do that."

The sound of his voice, breathless and heavy from recent excursion, caused me to shiver, memories of last night filling my mind. For a moment, I allowed myself to imagine that same voice, that same rasp as he'd hold himself over me, encouraging me to take all of him, over and over again, his breath fanning my sweaty, naked skin...

Woah... Down girl...

I shook my head. "I don't mind. I didn't know when you were going to be back, so..."

"Oh, and I'm supposed to tell you where I am every second of every day, now?"

Um... What?

I looked up at him, my brows furrowed. "What is your problem, Harry? All I said was that I didn't know when you'd be back. I never once said you had to tell me anything. I'm not your mother."

"I didn't say you were my mother, but I'm twenty years old. I can take care of my own cat. I don't need you to do that for me." He stalked over to the fridge, pulling out a water bottle and taking a long sip.

Finishing up what I was doing, I stood and turned to him. "I'll have to remember that the next time you leave... Geez, Harry... Is this about last night? Is that why you're so bent out of shape?"

He nearly choked as he swallowed. "No. This is not about last night. Last night was..."

Wonderful, perfect, the best kiss I'd ever had...

"...a mistake."

Okay, I wasn't expecting that...

"Harry... What?"

"Look, I owe you an apology. All I've done since I've been home is make one wrong move after another. I'm done with that now. I'm going to start focusing, getting my mind set right..."

What the hell was he talking about? He hadn't done anything wrong!! If anyone had, it was me... I was the one that practically begged for him to kiss me. I was the one that couldn't get him out of my head. If anyone had done anything wrong, it was me... The thing was, though, I didn't regret any of it. Was it scary? Yes. Stupid? Probably. But, I still had no regrets...

Apparently he did...

"Harry, you haven't done anything wrong. And it wasn't a bad kiss... You don't have to..."

"Riley, stop. It was stupid. A massive mistake. I knew the minute I pulled away, and I just... I wish I'd never done it."

His words hit me like a slap to the face, and I had to look away from him to hide the hurt that flashed in my eyes.

"Fine. We'll just forget it, then. Pretend like it never happened." I grabbed my bag, anger and rejection bubbling up inside me. "I have to go to work."

Without even so much as a smile, he half waved at me. "Well, have a good day."

"Yeah. You too."