Lie To Me-Chapter 67

With Gemma now satisfied, we all gathered around in a big circle, as a waitress came over with a bottle of mango peach vodka, and a stack of shot glasses.

"What's all this?"

Nial smiled at my gesture toward the girl setting up a round of shots. "This, my sweet Riley, is a drinking game. Well, not so much a game, but an interesting excuse to drink. Like we need that..." Tossing his head back, he laughed at his own joke, and Gemma stepped in.

"I found out about this through one of my friends. We all go around saying something we're thankful for, in honor of your birthday. Then, when everyone has gone, we clink our glasses together, and take another shot. It's a fun little way to start off the night on a good foot."

"Oh! Okay! I like this idea!" I got comfortable on my little ottoman seat next to Harry and waited for the girl to finish pouring the shots. "Who gets to go first?"

Niall laughed, "Sorry princess. Since it's your birthday...well, party...you have to go last. Oh, and you can't say you're thankful for anything someone else has already mentioned."

Well, darn... I had a great idea of what I was thankful for, but knowing that it may be taken by the time my turn came around, I had to think of a back-up plan...

"So, who's going first?"

Handing me a shot, Harry smiled. "I will..."

The group groaned in unison.

"Well, we all know what his is going to be..." I looked at Gemma as she grumbled under her breath, rolling her eyes at her brother.

"You'll get your turn, now hush." He took a deep breath, holding his shot high in the air. "I am thankful for the reason we are all here tonight; Riley."

Our friends groaned at his seemingly obvious choice, teasing and making comments about how much they saw that coming, but Harry ignored them, locking eyes with me as he continued.

"She is one of the most amazing people I've ever met, and not one of us here can say that our lives weren't improved for knowing her. I know my life has been forever changed. My best friend in the world... I love you, Riley. Happy Birthday."

Tears gathered in my eyes as he tossed back his shot. It couldn't be possible for a man to be that sweet, that loving, that perfect... But, he was. And I was completely in love with him...

Wrapping my arms around his waist, I tucked myself under his arm, resting my head on his chest. "Thank you, Harry. I love you, too."

"Okay, my turn!" Bree took center stage of the group, standing to ensure all eyes were on her. "I am thankful tonight for my parents' divorce."

Everyone stopped, eyes wide, confusion covering their faces.

Louis spoke up first, "Um, I don't think you get the point of this whole thing, love..." With a laugh, Niall added, "Yeah. We're supposed to be thinking happy thoughts."

"Oh, but I am," she smiled at me. "If not for my parents getting divorced, I would have never moved, and I would have never met my best friend. I would have never had the chance to grow up with her, build memories, trust, and a bond that no one can ever break. I love you, BFF, and whatever led me to you, I will forever be thankful for."

A tear slid down my cheek as I got up to hug her, and my thoughts trailed to what Harry had said earlier tonight. He'd asked if I was ready to see just how loved I am. At the time, I'd admittedly laughed it off, but here, now...I was seeing it, and it was the best feeling in the world.

Taking a moment to calm down from all of the emotion flowing through me, I curled back up next to Harry. And sure enough, the boys quickly had me cracking up with the things they were thankful for.

Niall was thankful for Ireland, of course, stating that it was the only country awesome enough to produce both of us. I laughed at that, explaining that I was only half Irish, from my mother's side, but he wasn't having it. According to him, Ireland was still the best.

Louis was next, expressing thanks for football. A comment that then sparked a hilarious debate over the game's title when Bree assumed he'd meant American football, and asked him what his favorite NFL team was.

Eleanor gave thanks for vacations, which I whole-heartedly agreed with, and we both ended up nearly spilling our shots in a high five attempt.

Ed was sweet, giving thanks for my birthday celebration. "With all of our schedules, it's hard for almost all of us to be together at once. So, having this opportunity to spend time with good friends is truly something to be thankful for."

Liam continued the sweetness, banking off of Ed's choice by saying he was thankful for friends, because no matter what was happening in his life, he could always count on us. My eyes met Harry's as he spoke, the both of us silently agreeing to talk to him later.

Getting closer to my turn, I looked to Gemma, praying that she wouldn't take my choice.

But, of course, she did.

"I am thankful for my brother. Because of Harry, I was able to meet the beautiful soul sitting next to him tonight. And my life hasn't been the same since. We've shared laughter, tears, and more pints of ice cream than I can count." We both teared up as she continued. "Riley, you aren't just a friend to me; you are my sister, and I love you more than you will ever know." She paused at my rather loud sniffle. "And if you make me cry, I'll kill you."

Laughing through our tears, we hugged before she took her shot.

"Okay, Riley! It's your turn now!"

I looked around at my friends, the people closest to me, some of the people I loved the most in this world, and some of the best people I'd ever met. My eyes trailed back to Harry...

And then there was my "most of all," the one person I couldn't imagine my life without. The man who could make me laugh when I am feeling down, make me feel loved like no other, and make me feel safe no matter how scared I may be...

"I'm thankful for thunderstorms."

The group raised their brows at me in confusion to my seemingly offhand choice, but my eyes stayed glued to Harry, and the smile that broke on his face.

"I've always been afraid of thunderstorms... My whole life. But, it seems that sometimes what scares you the most is what leads you to the best things in your life. So, I am thankful for thunderstorms, and what they've led me to..."

After downing my shot, we all stood as Niall filled everyone's glass once again, and came in close, putting our hands together in the air.

"To Riley! May your birthday bring you every ounce of happiness you can imagine!" Harry smiled sweetly at me as he spoke, before the group joined with him, clinking all of our glasses together.

"To Riley!!"