Antique

DID I FORGET TO UPDATE YESTERDAY OH GOSH
YOU GET TWO TODAY AS AN APOLOGY
IF I EVER FORGET AGAIN I GIVE YOU PERMISSION TO FIGHT ME

Phil absolutely loved everything to do with antiques and that was how he ended up in a little antique shop, purchasing a long chest of draws. It looked a bit tatty with its worn corners and dusty top but it was well worth the price. Phil could easily get someone to fix it up for him.

He took it home and positioned it in front of his bed. It was at that moment that he realised he hadn't even looked inside of it yet so he pulled open the top draw.

Inside were three notebooks, all dirty and torn. Phil, being the curious man he is, picked one out, blew on it and opened it to the first page.

Dear diary,

Phil read and he let out a tiny gasp once his eyes upon the date at the top 09/07/1819. He had found someone's diary from way back in the past. He couldn't tear his eyes from the scruffy writing on the page.

My name is Daniel Howell and, at this point in time, I am seventeen years old. I purchased this notebook in order to record my memories and random moments in my life so I can look back on them in the future.

Today is my mother's birthday so I bought her some pretty roses a man on the street was selling. She really liked them and so she hugged me. She wouldn't hug me if she knew my secrets but she doesn't so.. I guess it is okay for now.

I might as well tell you my secret but, if anyone finds this, I could be executed. I like men. As in, I'm gay. Everyone I know believes it is punishable by death and.. it is. I probably won't live my whole life and, even if I did, I can never be myself.

I will never tell anyone. I will live my life in secret and hope that one day people like me can be accepted and live as who they are. For now, I have to hide myself.

Phil's eyes were wide as he carried on reading.

His heart was beating fast in his chest as he scanned every word; it was like he was developing a crush on the man from the past. That thought quickly went away though as he realised that, Daniel was alive today, he would be 198 years old.

-

Within a week, Phil was on the final book. He was half way through it and couldn't help but notice that it was the last entry as every page after that was blank.

18/01/1821 (my birthday yay or not yay.. :p)

Mother found my diary. She screamed at me and hit me and said some of the worst things. She told me I deserved to be dead and she said I had one day to change who I am. That's just stupid. I can't change who I am. If I would I could. But I'm me and I'm gay.

I'm about to tell her that I can't change but I just wanted to say goodbye because this will probably be my last entry. If it is, it means... that I've been killed for who I am.

I doubt anyone will even read this but I just wanted to say that I really wish that one day everyone will be accepted and people won't be killed for who they are. Everyone should be allowed to be themselves, no matter what gender or sexuality they are.

I don't want to die but I have to. I'm not pretending to be someone I'm not.

Daniel Howell.

Phil was actually crying. He glanced down at the shirt he was wearing (it was black with the lgbt flag on it) and he smiled through the tears. Daniel had got his wish, hadn't he? They were finally on the road to everyone being accepted and people were no longer killed for who they are.