Chapter 39 : I Will Wait

Camila's POV

It was Sunday, I was waiting for Lauren at the Italian restaurant. I arrived earlier so I could feel a little bit more at ease. I wanted to see Lauren, I wanted to know how she was doing. I was anxious and could not sleep well last night. If my bed was a living thing, it would throw me out of its as I was flipping and rolling from one end to another end. 

I looked at the time, it was one minute before one, and I looked at the entrance hoping to see her face soon. Indeed, she showed up when it turned to one. I didn't know how she always managed to arrive on time, no more no less. Lauren saw me and I smiled at her, but she was not smiling. She looked sad but not sad and angry like the last time when I saw her on Wednesday.

She was approaching me. I was looking at her, her eyes are dull and sad, I would like to stand up and hug her, but I didn't.

"Hi!"

"Hi, Lauren!"

She greeted me and took a seat in front of me. We looked at each other awkwardly. I smiled at her, her smile was not full. I could see she tried but she could not give her best smile, she was sad. It showed in her green eyes. The waitress came to take our orders.

I knew I had to do the talking. It was not only because Lauren was the quiet and introverted one, but we also had been like this, since we had conversations outside the work. I was the one who talked and asked many questions, and she was the one who spoke less, listened to me, and answered all my questions, "I am hungry," I gave a light smile, she was just looking at me, "We can eat first, then we can talk after we finish?"

"Yea..."

The waitress took our orders and left us. I was thinking about what to say, as it would be insensitive to ask her how was she doing, apparently, she was not doing good.

"Camila, I...I'm sorry," she spoke first, apologized, and I didn't expect that, "I should not talk to you like that on that day." She was looking at me. As I didn't reply promptly, she looked down at the table, "and should not just leave like that. I...I just could not handle it." she was talking to me but her eyes were on her hands.

I was unconsciously lifting my right hand from my lap to touch her hands, then I realized and I stopped midway. She noticed that "It's okay. I understand." I didn't know what to say, as I preferred to talk after lunch, but she definitely could say whatever and whenever she wanted to. I didn't mind.

We were in silence for a few minutes, before she asked again, "Are you mad at me or hate me?" Oh, Lauren, why did she even say that? I had seen all her bad moods and attitudes, and how I could get mad and hate her for saying she liked me. I should be happy about that, even more, this was her who said it.

"NO," my no came out a bit louder, "Lauren, I was not mad, I didn't hate you, and I don't. Why should I get mad? What made you think so?"

"I...Just asking?" She replied.

The waitress returned with our food and I told Lauren we could continue when we finished our lunch. Just like last Wednesday. She was just eating, not enjoying her food, not enjoying every bite of her food. There was nothing I could do, at least she ate. Normani told me she didn't eat, just slept, and She had to make Lauren eat.

We spent less than twenty minutes finishing our lunch. I also lost my appetite as well seeing her not enjoying her food. I didn't order any dessert like I usually would. We ordered coffees for closing our lunch.

"Can we continue?" She asked

"Yes. But before that, promise we will have open communication." I wanted to tell everything in my head, and I also wanted her not to hold back. I wanted to know what was in her mind as she always kept everything to herself.