Chapter 69: Not Giving Up

Lauren's POV

Camila had left for three weeks. There was still no news about her. My agent was useless, I was even more useless myself than them. She was not back in the country yet. Last time, she was in Spain. She could be still there or she might have moved to another country right now, or even to Africa or Asia. Normani was still working on the case. She and Halsey were the only person who trusted me that I did not cheat on Camila. Everyone was blaming me for it. They did not say it in front of me, but I knew.

My mother visited me once she knew about it. She was disappointed as well when she knew that Camila was gone. She said nothing, she didn't blame me, but she heavily sighed. I knew I had failed her, failed Camila, and I failed myself. She trusted me that I said I did not cheat on Camila. Although she was disappointed, she still encouraged me to find her. I told my mother that Mike must be happy to hear it. My mother said nothing but I knew he must be celebrating it now to see my pain and my failure.

I contacted Camila's parents. They finally found out about it when they did not hear from Camila and could not contact her for almost three weeks. They asked Dinah and Dinah told them the truth. I went there to see them as talking over the phone was not the right thing to do when I could easily afford to fly there. Their parents were totally upset. They left the house and the car that I gave Camila for them to live in and use. Her mother was crying and it was painful to see. Her father did not say much. He only threw me two words, "You failed." Hurt was written all over his face.

The only thing that could give me a glimpse of happiness was Sofia. When I arrived in Miami, They had left the house and the car. I did not know where to find them, even at the previous house. I went to Sofia's school and waited for her. Sofia was angry when she saw me, but I made her listen to me. I tried to explain and convince her, I did not hope much but she finally gave me a chance. She asked and begged me to find her sister. She missed her, and so did I. I promised her that I would not stop searching for her sister until I found her. Sofia told me she still kept the iPad I gave her. I told her she could keep it and she could call me anytime if she or her parents needed help.

After their parents kicked me out of the house. I met Sofia the next day. I waited for her at school like the day before. She was sad but she was happy to see me. Our previous weekly phone calls seemed to make our little friendship strong. Camila and I always talked to Sofia on the video call during the weekend when Camila stayed over. I told Sofia about my plan. I opened a bank account for her. I asked the agency to rent out the house and I sold the car. All the money would go to Sofia's account. I told her to use it wisely. She would and I trust her. We agreed this was our little secret. I went to her school and paid all the tuition. Her parents found out when I was back in New York. They asked me to cancel it but I did not. I would not until I found Camila. It was the least I could do for now.

It was almost a month. I seldom went to the office unless it was necessary. Mrs. Lopez was always looking at me sympathetically. She did not blame me but she did not trust me completely as well. She felt sorry for me and I also felt sorry for her. Camila was gone. It meant she could not retire soon. Camila indeed left things well organized and well informed. She left all the notes and instructions including her resignation letter. She must come here before she flew out of the U.S. She left all the stuff here along with the ring and earrings. She also sent an email to Mrs. Lopez. She thanked her and gave her some feedback. In the email, it was stated, that if they could not find the next EA for me, they should consider making a small team of a few EAs to handle the job and me. She believed it would work. I believed so because only she knew how to handle me.

The office was different without Camila now. It was like a sunny day turned into a cold silent day. I missed Camila, I missed her cappuccino, and I missed her curiosity. I missed everything about her. I hoped she would be back in the country soon. It would be easier to track her down.