Chapter 51 : The Elevator

Camila's POV

Dinah and I flew back to New York on Tuesday afternoon from Rome. Since this was an unplanned vacation, we would return to the office on Wednesday. We had to deal with our jet lag. We were a little bit late, but still, manage to reach the office five minutes before nine. We were waiting for the elevator and few people were looking at us, or me specifically. I was not sure what happened. When we got into the elevator, three people with their coffees in their hands got in and gave me a strange look. One of them, "the boss must fancy her so much. Late is fine." The other man replied to her, "can be compensated." The first girl said again, "...or punished." air quoted. Both of them looked at me and laughed. The other one was quiet. Were they talking about me? I didn't like how they looked at me.  Dinah was busy checking her phone.

Dinah left with them and left me with the quiet girl in the elevator. She was looking at me and I could not interpret the meaning behind her expression. She got off one floor before me. I looked at myself in the mirror. I checked my hair, my face, my clothes, and everything looked fine. I reached my floor, twenty-seventh floor, I walked to my office, and people were looking at me. I greeted them as usual, and they greeted me back but they were looking at me with many expressions. I was starting to feel strange. Something was not right, but I didn't know what. It could not be my relationship with Lauren was exposed.

I walked to my office and greeted Mrs. Lopez and she greeted me, she looked a little bit strange, too.

"Good morning, Mrs. Lopez!"

"Good morning, my dear!"

"Is everything alright, Mrs. Lopez?" I looked at her.

"Camila... Have you checked your email?"

"No...," She never asked me that kind of question, "Something happened?" I frowned.

Mrs. Lopez seemed calm, but I could tell something was not right. We went to my room to check my email. I was impatient "What happened, Mrs. Lopez?"

"Let's check your email first. Let's see if you got the email."

"What email? I am not fired, am I?" I tried to joke to hide my nervousness.

"No, Camila." I opened my email and went thru my email with Mrs. Lopez. My phone went off, a notification, a message from Dinah.

From Dinah: Mila, Did you see the email?

I wanted to call Dinah but we seldom call each other during working hours just in case one of us was not available or in a meeting.

To Dinah: No. What email? Mrs. Lopez is checking it.

From Dinah: Okay, Let me know if you need anything, I am here. Stay Calm, ok?

"You didn't receive the email." Mrs. Lopez said with her serious face.

"What email, Mrs. Lopez?" I was starting to panic.

"Somebody sent a video of you and Lauren."

"What? What video, Mrs. Lopez?"

"It's you and Lauren in the elevator." Mrs. Lopez looked at me with concerned eyes.

I was shocked. It must be when Lauren kissed me, "No, no, who sent it?"

"Anonymous..."

"When?"

"Yesterday evening, and  it's sent to almost everyone except you, probably Lauren, too."

"No, No, Mrs. Lopez....Everyone?"