Chapter 85: To Get Her Back

Narrator's POV

Lauren had returned to New York. She stayed at one of her properties, which was near Normani's townhouse. It was less than a ten-minute walk from her place to Normani's. Lauren had not decided if she returned to New York for good or just temporary. Lauren herself definitely preferred living in New York to Portland, but she was still thinking and considering living in Portland as her heart, Camila, was left in Portland. 

Lauren wanted to stay closer to Camila and her two little babies. She hoped that Camila would change her mind and move back to New York one day. Lauren almost gave up when she woke up in the hospital after that Halloween night, but she did not. She saw a little hope was there when she kissed Camila. Lauren could feel in their kiss that Camila still loved her, and Camila still wanted her, as much as she wanted Camila. There were this feeling and this connection that she could feel but she could not describe by words when two people who loved each other kissed.

After Halloween night, Lauren was thinking a lot and trying to figure out what made Camila want to be on her own. After those kisses they shared, Lauren believed Camila still loved her. Camila did not fall in love with Bella or with others as she told Lauren. There must be something holding her back. She had to find out in order to get Camila back.

Lauren was quite certain that Mrs. Spencer, Nas, and even Bella must know something about Camila that Lauren did not know. Camila must have a secret that was why she was so close off and tried to push Lauren away. Lauren knew she could not make Mrs. Spencer talk and forgot about Bella. Lauren did not have much conversation with Bella. Her only hope was Nas, but Nas was quite frightened and afraid of Camila. It seemed to Lauren that Nas wanted to tell her something, but he was afraid of Camila. It was true.

***Flashback***

Nas was driving Lauren to the airport. Lauren was, as usual, she did not talk much. Both of them got along quite well. There was no awkwardness but still, Nas would talk more than Lauren. Nas was driving and he saw Lauren lost in her thoughts. Nas decided to start a conversation.

"Lauren... how long will you stay in New York?"

"Probably, two months."

"So, you won't be visiting us during Christmas and New Year?" Nas asked.

"I am afraid not for Christmas. For New Year, I have to see how things go." Lauren said.

"They will miss you including, mama Olive."

"I will miss them, too," Lauren replied but her eyes were on the road. She should be the one who drove instead of Nas as Nas glanced at her more than she did.

.

There was silence before Nas asked again.

"You really love her, don't you?"

Lauren looked at Nas and back on the road, "yes."

"one to ten?" Nas asked in a casual way.

"every beat of my heart..." Lauren said.

Nas smiled, "if... she was not beautiful, would you still love her?"

Lauren looked at Nas, "I don't understand your question." Lauren understood. She just did not like the idea of loving someone for their physical beauty only. She did not love Camila just for her physical beauty.

"I mean, if... if she was not that beautiful... not that she is not..." Nas tried to explain his question to Lauren.

"She's beautiful. I love her... more than just for her beautiful face."