Chapter 66: The Curse of Halloween

Narrator's POV

Clara kept on asking Lauren when she could meet her and Camila. Clara was so excited and could not wait to meet them. She was so happy that Lauren finally found love. Lauren invited her for lunch at her place the last weekend of October before the office's Halloween party, which would be on next Thursday. Camila stayed over at Lauren's on Friday as usual. The next morning they prepared lunch together for welcoming Clara. It was the first time Camila saw Lauren cook. Usually, Lauren would only help Camila chop, clean, and prepare things. She would let Camila decide and cook whatever she wanted.

Lauren might not know how to cook many things, but when she knew how to cook one, usually something she loved to eat, she cooked it perfectly. One thing Camila loved to watch when they were in the kitchen was Lauren's knife skills. She was very good at chopping vegetables and stuff. She was like a ninja very skillful with the knives. Camila asked Lauren where she learned it. Lauren said she used to help her mother in the kitchen when she was still living with them. Her bedroom and her kitchen were the only places she would go to. She barely went to other rooms if not necessary as she did not like to see Mike and Mike did not like to see him as well.

Living alone and being a home cooking lover made her pick up some skills in the kitchen. Since her mother was coming, Lauren decided to cook her favorite food when she was a kid and her mother usually made it for her, tortilla de patatas. She also made a salmon salad. Lauren thought it was enough with two things but Camila wanted more. She made a Cuban mojo chicken with some rice and baked some blueberry muffins. Lauren would not argue with her, Camila loved food and loved to see many foods.

Clara came twenty minutes after they finished preparing lunch. They opened the door for Clara and Clara was so excited to see them both. She gave them both a long warm hug. Camila had met Clara before and she knew many good things about Clara, so she was not nervous when she had to officially meet her future mother-in-law. They went straight to the dining room. Clara was surprised by all the food prepared.

"So much food..."

"It's Camila..." Lauren said looking at Camila.

"I just love to eat aunt Clara..."

"Camila, you can call me Suegra or Mom," Clara said

"Yea..." Camila was a little bit blushing.

"You made Lauren's favorite food?" Clara asked when she saw the Tortilla.

"No... actually, it's Lauren who made it. She made the tortilla and the salad. I made the rest."

"She always asked me to make it when she was a kid. Now there are many kinds of food now out there, it's not her most favorite anymore." Clara said.

"Yea... but still one of my old-time favorites," Lauren replied. Lauren was quite sweet when talked to her mother, but not as sweet as she talked to Camila. She barely showed this side of her to people.

"You must have a new favorite from Camila now?" Clara teased her daughter.

"Yea..." Lauren grinned and she looked happy. Clara could not be happier seeing her daughter smiling broadly.

"What's your favorite now?" Clara asked

"Everything... Camila makes." Lauren replied.

"Sweet... I am replaced now." Her mother teased Lauren

"Mom..." Lauren knew her mother teasing her.

Camila looked at Lauren, "No, She is just that sweet talker..."