Goodbye Derek

DEREK POV:

I went back to the house and grabbed the suitcase from under the bed and began to pack. I stopped. I saw the post- it.

FLASHBACK:

" what do we want to promise each other?" I asked
" that you'll love me. Even when you hate me." Mer said

Then I saw the picture of us with Zola.

FLASHBACK:

" you're just the cutest kid in the whole entire world. Why is that?" I giggled
" she's perfect." Mer chirped.

I started to cry. ' what am I doing?' Was all I thought. But I continued on my way.

MEREDITH POV:

I walked back into the hospital. That was it. He was gone. I picked up the kids and went home. His stuff was out of the closet. I put Zola to bed and then I looked up to see the post-it still hanging there.

FLASHBACK:

" no running. Ever. Nobody walks away. No matter what." Derek said.

I got up on the bed and took the post- it off the wall and through it out. The glass shattering. I fell asleep eventually but how can you when you know there's no chance in surviving this one.

THE NEXT DAY:

I got up and got Zola, Bailey, and Olivia ready to go. I had surgery with Hunt and Edwards and they were talking about people keeping secrets and fighting. I stepped in.
" listen every couple has problems. My husband left..." Hunt cut me off
" what?"
" he didn't tell you?"
" no."
" oh I thought he would have emailed you by now. He went to D.C."
Everyone was quiet. When the surgery was over I went to go to the cafeteria.
" Dr.Grey? Can we talk now?"
" who are you?"
" Lisa... The nanny."
" oh my god yes I am so sorry I've been so busy lately. "
" I totally understand."
We went into the conference room.
" so what do you need?" She asked
" well I need someone to be there when I'm not. I need someone to understand what I do for a living and what I live for. I need to understand when I can't be there I need to be here. I need someone to be ... My person." I was crying. She gave me a hug. We talked some more and decided to give her the job.
" who's that?" Callie asked walking up behind me.
" my new nanny."
" you got a nanny?"
" I had to Derek left."
" wait what?"
" he left for D.C."
I found Alex in the ER.
" where's shepherd I've been paging him all day." He ran up to me.
" well you better page Amelia." I said. Everybody was there. Alex, Jackson, Jo, Bailey, Webber, Hunt, April, Callie, Arizona.
" why?" Alex asked
I pulled them all into a conference room.
" guys. Derek left. He went to D.C. I'm a single mom now".
" Mer..." Jackson said
" no it's true. I'm on my own."
" Mer I'm so sorry." Richard said. Everybody gave me a hug. I ended up heading home later than expected. I needed to call somebody.
" hello?" Derek answered
" hi."
" what's up?"
" I know I told you to leave but this isn't how we end is it?"
" I don't want it to."
" okay. And Derek?"
" yeah?"
" I'm gonna miss you."
" meredith... My plane got delayed I haven't left the airport. I can come home. Do I come home?"
I thought.

DEREK POV:

Part of me wanted her to say yes. Part of me wanted to go.
" I don't want you to resent me."
" meredith I can never resent you."
" but I want you to do what you gotta do."
" either way we can do this."
" we can do this".
" so what do I come home?"
She sighed. " no. Go. Do what you gotta do. I'll stay here. We can do this. People do this."
" we can do this."
" okay then."
" okay."
Then the service for cut and I couldn't hear her anymore.